Cutting Loose

13 Apr

“By letting it go it all gets done. The world is won by those who let it go. But when you try and try. The world is beyond the winning.” ~Lao Tzu

Cutting Loose

Many of us have one person
Who we can’t forgive
Because we choose to think about
What they did and relive

The hurt they caused, the frustration
The shattering of trust
We choose to not forgive because
To do so feels unjust

But what we need to understand
Is where the difference lies
Between forgiveness and the fear
That they’ll keep up their lies

Forgiveness is to let it go
To say “I just don’t care”
“I won’t take things so seriously
And I will be aware

Of dangers that the ego holds
How it is much too fickle
And slightest provocation often
Does make its blood trickle”

But what of when you do forgive
And other party won’t
Meet you in the middle and just
Replies with “I don’t”?

“I don’t forgive, I won’t let go
I still think you are wrong
Instead I choose to hate you still
And my distrust prolong”

As adamant as you may be
That you’d like to move on
You must accept some folks can’t be
Moved even with great brawn

Some will simply drop anchor
Of loathing, fear and hate
And nothing that you say or do
Will lighten that big weight

It may feel like you are quitting
And giving up the ghost
Because of those that say, “The hateful
Need your help the most!”

With due respect to those people
This Warrior will state:
“CUT THEM LOOSE, THE ONES WHO DOUBT
WHO FEAR, WHO SCORN, WHO HATE!”

Cut them loose because they’ll simply
Topple you and sink
Because they are incapable
Of making ego shrink

Cut them loose and maybe down
The road someday they’ll see
That it’s not the not end of the world
If others disagree

Cut them loose and keep your pace
Because you have a mission
And that’s to help the ones who don’t
Have negative ambition

Don’t you dare allow others
To tell you that you’re cold
Don’t you dare allow them to
Admonish, chide or scold

Because as harsh and ugly as
This truth may be to hear
Some folks are so self-absorbed
Of them we should stay clear

We should avoid, we should cut loose
We should all turn away
We should allow them to wallow
In their hate and dismay

And when enough times passes, if
They choose a different view
And if they still can find us, then
That line we can renew

But if they choose to not let go
Of their own hard feelings
You’ll be grateful that you chose not
To have further dealings

You’ll be grateful that you chose to
Cut loose and show some spine
And saved your strength for others ‘cause
You cut loose that dead line

16 Responses to “Cutting Loose”

1. Lopa April 13, 2012 at 11:21 am #

I really like this Warrior poem a lot.
    I am myself a firm believer of letting it go.
    I feel letting go of hard feelings is letting one’s own self free of the misery of pain and anguish; for if we hold on to hatred, it just brings in more.
    Once someone I know, faced betrayal in life, and perhaps till today holds on to it, and waits for the day to turn the table around. If I ask to let go, the person says if the table doesn’t turn around it just shows there is no justice in this world. However I hold a counter opinion. Whether the tides change their course or not, is it worth to hold on? Justice prvails in the land of lord, and he will do it….for he knows all our sorrows. Why does one need to keep the heart chained in the clamour of hurt?, and hurt it some more. Freedom always gives peace…and so letting go brings freedom from hurt…and sets everything in place.
    A very inspiring composition, Miro!
    Thank you for the post. 🙂

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:31 am #

That’s so true, so many people say “But it’s hard” and they just don’t understand that “You’re worth it!” Letting go does wonders for *you*, so why wouldn’t everyone make the effort to feel as good about themselves as possible?

For many years I also waited and depended on “justice” being served. Then I realized that justice is instantaneous. When someone does something that is truly selfish, hurtful and wrong, it doesn’t matter if they’re punished by the authorities, their peers or God Himself. Their actions have cost them their integrity and honor. They have failed at their purpose in life, the same purpose we all have; service to others. I can’t think of an uglier punishment than that. Justice is served the moment they do it.

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtful comment.

2. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Reliving the negative things that have happened to us in the past keeps us right back there still. Let go and feel the freedom. It is not as easy as it may sound but the results are huge. Great message here Miro.

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:26 am #

And as Archilocus said, “We do not rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” If you constantly let things go, it becomes second-nature to let things go. 🙂

3. granbee April 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Yes, we do have to cut loose the dead wood, the dead weight–but we must not then carry the ghost of it along with us as resentment, anger, hatred, gossip, etc.

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:25 am #

So true. To say “I’ve let go” but still dwell on the hurt is not letting go at all! To say “I’ve let go” and then to only have positive or indifferent thoughts is to have truly let go.

4. Sue Dreamwalker April 13, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

This brought home to me some of my own ‘Letting Go’ experiences, I had to let my Mother go, whose own bitterness I tried to reach.. but after 10 yrs I let her go.. She passed to spirit still not understanding some few weeks after my last effort to reach out. It took some time after this for me to cut that invisable cord… But we each have a choice.. I had to realise her path was her choice.. And once I understood… I too was cut Free!..

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:24 am #

It’s an especially difficult task to let go when it’s a family member, but a task it still is, and that’s our duty in this life. It’s even more painful with family because we believe they should have the basic instinct that even animals have to protect their own, but many don’t. We’re a different breed, and not always for the better. 🙂

• Sue Dreamwalker April 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

yes Miro, we are a different breed one at times my friend I am not proud to be part of.. It took me along while to accept that I was born into a family in which I needed to learn from.. And hopefully I would like to think my Mother took something back home from me.. But Humans are a strange breed, set in their ways and when a heart shuts itself off, its hard to reach into it and give it the kiss of life.. I know I tried.. very many times… Until I had to Let her go… and cut her loose… But my love I still send.. and maybe now she understands as she views life from beyond!
        Blessings.. ~Sue

5. Cat Forsley April 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

INCREDIBLE MIRO ……:)

WHEN I GOT DIVORCED IN 2007 –
    IT HIT LIKE A MACK TRUCK .
    SO MANY YEARS IT HAS TAKEN TO LET GO …….:)

AND IT’S SO WORTH IT ……
    TO LET GO EVEN MORE
    EVEN WHEN WE THINK WE HAVE DONE ALL THE LETTING GO WE THOUGHT WE COULD DO ……

LET GO AND LOVE MORE ……..
    THE WORLD – MIRO IS SO MUCH BEAUTIFUL WHEN WE DO NOT HARNESS ANYTHING HURTFUL TO OTHERS OR OURSELVES ……
    LOVED YOUR POEM ….
    MAKES ME WANT TO “CUT LOOSE ” MORE …..

THX FOR ALWAYS BEING AN INSPIRING FORCE OF GRACE IN MY LIFE –
    MUCH GRATITUDE …
    CAT 🙂

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Beautiful words, Cat. And thank you for being an inspiration with your passion and honesty. 🙂

• Cat Forsley April 14, 2012 at 8:29 am #

HEY YOU 🙂
        GOOD MORNING 🙂 AGAIN 🙂

THIS WAS A GREAT POST MIRO ….

WE ALWAYS HAVE MORE TO “LET GO” OF …..
        ALWAYS –
        NO MATTER HOW CLEAR WE THINK WE ARE ……..

IT’S LIKE CLEANING UP THE HEART OVER AND OVER ……
        THIS WAS A VERY MOTIVATIONAL POEM FOR ME 🙂 THANK YOU AND VERY AMPLIFIED OVER HERE …….

IT —- UMMM —- STILL EARLY – FORGIVE THE RAMBLES …..:)
        MADE ME THINK OF THIS SONG BY PETER GABRIEL …..
        I COULDN’T REMEMBER THE TITLE – BUT KNEW THAT “AND I LET GO …” WAS IN IT !!!!!!!
        THIS POEM OF YOURS ENCOURAGED ME TO KEEP ON KEEPING ON WITH CLEARING UP THE HEART …… DAILY …….
        🙂
        THANK YOU BIG BRO …….

HERE IS THE SONG ……:)

YOUR WORDS TAKE ME TO THE PLACES I NEED TO GO 🙂
        THANK YOU !!!

6. omwaombara April 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

WARRIOR POET WISDOM. Deep thoughts, deep advice. How lighter life becomes when we let go. Yet how so difficult to let go. How we cling to the past as if the future depends on it, and how sad to eperience betrayal from those you had trusted and cared for. If only I could let go and start afresh. If only I can forgive and forget and lay my burdens down and move on. Thanks for the gift of sharing.

• Miro April 14, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Not difficult at all to let go. I think therein lies the problem. Many believe it’s a huge effort to let go, as if they have to grit teeth and sweat in order to do it. It’s actually a very simple thing. As simple as saying “I don’t care anymore” and re-educating ourselves that it’s not a bad thing to proclaim when it comes to negativity.

7. Noel Williams (prhayz) www.prhayz.com April 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Sometimes it become necessary to cut loose the extra baggage [negative] and make way for the positive

Thanks for sharing. God bless you.

8. Gabriel Warrior Poet April 17, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Thankyou Brother Miro.
    As ever your insights and wisdom are an inspiration and a guiding light to those in the darkness. I constantly repeat this same teaching to friends, Letting go of the hurt is the only way to trulymove forward in life.
    After losing five of my children letting go of that pain and the need, as you put it, for “justice” was the most rewarding of all my experiences.
    It is a lesson I learned the hard way which I constantly strive to pass on in a painless manor to all whose path I cross.