Already Gone

1 Apr

“Death may be the greatest of all human blessings.”  ~Socrates

Already Gone

It’s hard to watch a person fade
And disappear from sight
To look into their eyes and see
That there’s no longer light

But still their body breathes and still
Their mouth says many things
But rather than their old love, now
Their message simply stings

They speak with hate and bitterness
With far-off look in eyes
They seem like monsters hiding in
Our loved one’s former guise

It’s difficult to say goodbye
If body still is breathing
To accept that someone who is
Yelling, shouting, seething

Is not the person they once were
They are already gone
We never got to say goodbye
So that we could move on

Rest assured, the time has passed
For farewells, now you must
Accept, acknowledge, recognize
Adapt, alter, adjust

The old familiar face misleads
You must embrace the truth
This is not the same person you
Remember from your youth

They’ve passed away as pathways in
Their brain have been destroyed
Leaving just a shell that is
Of their old love devoid

It is quite sad to see what we
Regress to when we age
How a violent person was
One time a gentle sage

Not the end that I’d wish for
May the King that I serve
Have just a bit more mercy and
My peace and grace preserve

May Warriors go quickly with
Their strength fully intact
May Warriors die suddenly
Instead of slowly cracked

May every true Warrior live
Their last day on their feet
Have the chance to say goodbye
And their journey complete

With head held high, their chest out and
In control of all parts
With courage still in their words and
With love still in their hearts

16 Responses to “Already Gone”

1. mountainmae April 1, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Tears in my eyes- my gentle, learned, loving Father had the experience of senility. It was heartbreaking to watch that first year when he still kind-of knew what he was losing and he was angry. Then the man we knew disappeared into this other person who did not know us. He was an organic gardener 50 yrs ago- shortly before he died we found a little “garden” he had planted. One spade (handle in the ground) and three seperate bows that had come on christmas packages carefully planted. I left them- they did not grow anything.

2. willofheart April 1, 2012 at 10:02 am #

this piece reminds me of my father on his last day, he hold my hand tightly even there was no words on his lips because he was not able to talk I can really feel the love coming from him, I love this piece Miro…

3. John Northcutt Young April 1, 2012 at 10:43 am #

The old saying is true; “There are worst things than death.”

4. Julie Catherine April 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Wonderful poem, Miro. My maternal grandmother had to contend with Alzheimers, so I understand very well what you’re saying here. It was very sad for everyone who knew her before that time. But I like to remember the woman who loved to cook family Sunday dinners; who sewed beautiful clothing on her old Singer treadle sewing machine, and who loved being out in her flower gardens. Thank you for this lovely, thoughtful post – and for the memories. ~ Julie

5. ansuyo April 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

We are going through this with my Mother-in-law. I worked at a nursing home for many years and found that often, you cannot tell how someone was by how the were there. Often the sweetest ones were shrews in an earlier lifetime and the troublesome ones were sweet angels. Sadly, at the end of their life, they did not get the treatment they deserved because people forget that we are more than just our aging self. Good post Miro. Angie

6. Aspergers Girls April 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

Such talent. I can relate. Love the last section, the most. 🙂 Thanks ~ Sam

7. Lopa April 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Especially loved these lines…
    “May Warriors go quickly with
    Their strength fully intact
    May Warriors die suddenly
    Instead of slowly cracked

May every true Warrior live
    Their last day on their feet
    Have the chance to say goodbye
    And their journey complete..”

Indeed it is true….it is better to die in peace than die slowly everyday. I can totally relate to this. When my grandpa passed away I shed a tear but heart of heart I rejoiced that he said goodbye with a smile, and till his last day on this earth he stood on his feet. 🙂
    I am reminded of Henry Wordsworth Longfellow –
    “The grave itself is but a covered bridge,
    Leading from light to light, through a brief darkness! “

8. gingerfightback April 2, 2012 at 6:35 am #

I love reading your words – very rarely comment – just had to say this is one of your best. Many thanks and keep them coming.

9. Deb April 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Very well written, Miro. I hope he made peace with Him before he took his last breath.
    Love and Peace, xx

10. Miro April 2, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Thank you all for your wonderful, thoughtful, heartfelt comments. You have this Warrior-Poet’s gratitude.

11. ann April 3, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Wow Miro,
    This poem is intense, what a message and such a reality! There are certain illnesses of old age that rob the spirit and may we never face that hardship yet be strong enough to continue to send those suffering the light that will show them the way!
    Blessings,
    Ann

12. Christy Birmingham April 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

The ageing process can be such a difficult one and hard on both the ill person and his or her family… your words are so sad yet offer so much truth…

13. Bonnie April 4, 2012 at 9:05 am #

This brought me to tears. Wonderful poem, Miro.

14. granbee April 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

The prayer of all true warriors here, Miro! This is EXACTLY how I want to go, charging over the ramparts of life, shouting for joy–and then Poof–no more in the flesh! Thanks for celebrating this type of warrioring to the end, Miro!

15. Sue Dreamwalker April 8, 2012 at 5:53 am #

This is such a sad distressing time for any Family member to go through and for the family to watch.. I know only too well the heartache this brings, having watched my in-laws go through a similar process, One, My mother in law who would turn around and call her Son terrible names, who would travel Miles to take his turn to sit with her through the night to travel home to go to straight to work the next day.. as he took his turn in a family trying to look after their parents.. Before A nursing home was the only way forward..
    Such anguish I feel within your words, but also understanding, that their true selves have already departed and left…
    My thoughts are with any family going through these times..
    And I too would wish to depart in battle cry… on my feet… gone…. complete..
    Sending you all my thoughts~Sue

16. lscotthoughts April 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Wonderful, Miro, and your words brought a few tears, too, as this hits close to home…xx