Out of Touch

17 Mar

“A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often – just to save it from drying out completely.” ~Pam Brown

Out of Touch

I’ve always made an effort to
Keep in touch with my friends
But recently I did something
Which caused a massive cleanse

I do not have a message in
This poem that you’re reading
Rather just some facts I will
Describe and will be feeding

It’s up to you to decide on
The point of this here write
Now without further adieu
Let’s shed a little light

For all my life I had been one
To call, to write, to pop
But two years past I decided
For the most part, to stop

No longer would I hound people
To hang out and connect
I would do the bare minimum
And observe the effect

What I found was two years passed
And I no longer saw
Friends I’d had since the first grade
All of them did withdraw

I had plenty of friends within
The movie industry
For three years I helped run a fest
And put names on marquee

But when the festival was done
And I did not reach out
Most of them did not touch base
Contact, interact, shout

Just a few did drop a line
But more favors were asked
Politely I declined to be
Of one more favor tasked

My personal page on Facebook
Had grown three thousand strong
I posted, liked and chatted with
So many to prolong

The sense of being connected
But when my efforts stopped
Almost all activity
On my profile dropped

I started clearing out “friend list”
Of people who did not
Ever take the time to write
To chat or share a thought

It dwindled down from three thousand
To one hundred and fifty
Only people who remained
Where those I found quite nifty

People who inspired me
Who had passion and grace
People who made efforts and
I did not need to chase

Of the nearly three thousand
That I had just “unfriended”
Only two did notice that
Our connection had ended

These days I am quite content
To know which friends are true
And which were merely passing ships
That I have bid “adeiu”

Would the same be said for you
If you are one who tries
To keep connected to a crowd
Of many girls and guys?

What would happen if you just
Decided not to call
Which are fleeting friends and which
Are in for the long haul?

15 Responses to “Out of Touch”

1. Jackie L. Robinson March 17, 2012 at 10:06 am #

You’ve touched upon something I’ve contemplated myself, Miro. Several times I’ve gone in and ‘unfriended’ people whom I no longer even ‘recognized.’ Most of these are people I’ve ‘met’ through interaction on Facebook rather than through real life experiences, although there are some of those as well.

Here’s the question that continues to come around inside myself–and I do believe it’s a matter of really getting clear on MY truth in it all–which I’m still trying to understand. I have two perspectives: 1. Using my FB personal profile as something that is and remains ‘personal.’ And so disconnecting from those who are not. The second is more geared to the Universal perspective: Why would I not be open to connecting with others around the globe? I believe in ONEness. Perhaps as I write I’m even finding some clarity in it all. (Thank you for posting this.) Believing in ONEness does not mean we open ourselves to full exposure on all levels. We have to recognize and connect to how we become part of the whole on a very personal and individual level. What is right for you, may not be what is right for me, vice versa. It’s all about seeing, feeling, honoring our own personal truth.

You’re an inspiration in your sharing, because always I can see how you honor what you believe and who you are. Much love, xo

2. Savira March 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Like you I decided to step back and observe and see if the flow of friendship went both ways.. Sadly to say it did not.. Those that valued and created the flow remained and the others well withered…

3. rannycalderon March 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Thanks for sharing this blog Miro ..This is what’s going into my mind lately …but I decided to have a break for awhile and see whatever the friendships come into both ways. Have a good day ~

4. ansuyo March 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Wow! I know a few I would not have if I had not pursued over the years. Great post. Angie

5. ansuyo March 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Reblogged this on doyoumeanwhatiknow.

6. ravenofleyla March 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I do the same Miro on Facebook and in WordPress. I used to get annoyed when one would only like but not comment. Now I believe at least that is acknowledgement. LOL
    smiles,
    Rx

7. elizabeth March 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Ah such is life. 🙂

8. Noel Williams (prhayz) www.prhayz.com March 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

That’s life Miro! There is a big difference between tag-a-long and friend.

9. aussieian2011 March 18, 2012 at 2:05 am #

An honest and very forthright writing Miro
    I have noticed that I am spending a lot of time commenting on wordpress to people who I have subscribed to and taken the time to read and appreciate their works, and then find the lack of courtesy in even getting a comment on my efforts.
    The key word on the internet and such places like WordPress is Interact
    It is a two way road , some people it seems love to collect followers and receive comments but do not display reciprocal courtesy , people with hundreds and in some cases thousands in their network are false , you cannot keep up with that many friends in all fairness , deleting the obsolete is a fact of life in my computer
    Wishing you well
    Aussie Ian aka Aussie Emu

10. Deb March 18, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Hi Miro,
    This poem says is all. I find myself at least once a year, if not more, what I call, “thinning the herd,” as like you, only a few will notice I had done this. But in the end of the cleaning I know who my true friend are.
    Better for any of us to have a only a few friends that actually care.
    Hugs, xx

11. Christy Birmingham March 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

How interesting. Communication really does need to happen both ways. Sometimes I won’t talk to friends online for months and then our paths cross and we are frequent in our conversations once again. Good for you for narrowing down the ‘true’ friends and getting back to basics. Happy Sunday to you Miro.

12. juwannadoright March 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

In friendships as in life generally, it’s quality and not quantity that matters. Excellent post.

13. Bonnie March 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Excellent food for thought, Miro. My own friends are definitely based on quality, not quantity. That way I have more attention to devote to them. Loved this poem.

14. granbee March 20, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Miro, overall I quite agree with you about the difference between acquaintances and true friends. However, this ol’ granbee feels obligated to point out that some of those many you “unfriended” may have been thinking the same thing about you–that if you really cared, you would get in touch, you know? Just pondering that, because I always tend to blame myself when friends fail to communicate as often as I would like.

15. Nandini March 23, 2012 at 9:44 am #