Good Boy (Part II)

15 Mar

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ~Helen Keller

Good Boy (part II)

For every door that’s closed, another
Opens and reveals
Something that you’ll love as much
Something that appeals

A month ago, our Husky, Bear
Departed and broke hearts
But where one old life ends is where
Another young life starts

We made the trip to Wallenstein
And met with some fine folks
Who had just two small Huskies left
The small blond one did coax

Immediately he jumped up and
With paws up he did whine
I picked him up and realized
Right then that he was mine

He snuggled into my arms and
A hush fell over him
He started falling fast asleep
As his eyes became dim

We took him home and cared for him
The first few nights, no sleep!
But this good boy did catch on quick
And let his training seep

He picked up going outside to
Relive himself quite fast
Amazing how long his tiny
Puppy bladder can last

He also put himself to bed
In less than a whole week
“Good boy!” we said as he laid
And let out a soft squeak

I’ll always miss my Big Smelly
But when I run beside
This little blonde bundle of fur
My smile grows quite wide

It feels good to be running on
Husky power once more
You’re just as good a boy, Blondie
As our Husky before

16 Responses to “Good Boy (Part II)”

1. celestealluvial March 15, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I am so happy to see you continue the healing process and opened your heart and arms to another friend…..loved the poem….tis true we have to focus away from our grief to see a new thing, and potential blessing. Thanks for sharing this poem and picture…he is so adorable! 🙂
    Celeste

• Miro March 15, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Thanks Celeste. No matter what happens to us, it’s always our choice to stand still or keep moving forward. Sometimes all you need to overcome grief is momentum.

2. violetsandcardamom March 15, 2012 at 9:18 am #

What a sweet poem and a gorgeous little guy.

• Miro March 15, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Thank you kindly. He’s so adorable, like a living teddy bear. We’re having lots of fun with him.

3. bipolarmuse March 15, 2012 at 10:49 am #

What a beautiful, heartfelt, and sweet poem. Also a tribute to your beloved lost dog. A puppy has not taken its place, but rather added love into a place where grief may linger. ♥

• Miro March 15, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Perfectly put. He’s not bothering to try to fill anyone’s shoes either…he’s chewing on them instead! 🙂

• bipolarmuse March 15, 2012 at 11:17 am #

LOL, good ol puppies… they LOVE shoes. 🙂

4. Miro March 15, 2012 at 11:22 am #

And fingers…and ankles…and the cat… 🙂

5. Christy Birmingham March 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Awe, the little dog sounds so cute! Not a replacement, but a new friend 🙂

• Miro March 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Thanks Christy. He’s a fuzzy bundle of joy, and reminds us a lot of our previous dog when he was a pup. 🙂

6. dontchawannadream March 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm #

That’s really touching and sweet, Miro. The pic is SO cute… 🙂

• Miro March 15, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks Cha. Yes, he’s a cutie. We took him for a walk at the zoo and he became the main attraction! Everybody loves Huskies here in Canada. 🙂

7. aussieian2011 March 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

A beautiful story and a great little Husky
    Thanks for sharing
    Aussie Ian aka Emu

8. juwannadoright March 16, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Cute puppy – and I know he will be welcome and loved. Having just recently lost my companion Golden Retriever, I mourn your loss – and am delighted that you have found someone new to continue your life’s journey together.

9. lscotthoughts March 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Oh, Miro, he is adorable! I’m so glad you and your wife are doing okay and have now opened your hearts to another cute little canine. I don’t know if you remember that we lost our Lucky Girl last November; she was almost 11 and we had her 9 years after adopting…anyway, we weren’t ready, yet, but were getting ready to adopt another dog. Then my Mom became ill and passed away last month. Long story short, the timing hasn’t been right with my Mom’s passing and my hubby sick with pneumonia last month for 2 weeks, but we’re ready now. My Dad’s visiting for Easter, so after he leaves, we’ll start “doggy shopping” again. We’d like to adopt again and I know we’ll know when the right companion is in front of us. I apologize for the long reply; I could relate so well to your poem and it brought tears to my eyes..thanks for sharing and LISTENING! 🙂

10. granbee March 20, 2012 at 11:32 am #

You have completely this ol’ dog-lover’s heart, Miro, with this joyous and endearing post about your Blondie! So pleased he is melding himself into your household so cleverly and lovingly! Love the photo, for my little Malti-poo man always guards my purse like this!