Matters

9 Mar

“Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What Doesn’t Matter

It doesn’t matter when they insult
Or when they offend
It doesn’t matter if you feel
Betrayed by foe or friend

It doesn’t matter when a person
Passes on the buck
It doesn’t matter that they’d rather
Be a lazy schmuck

It doesn’t matter when a person
Questions your actions
It doesn’t matter what they say
Or their doubtful reactions

It doesn’t matter when they don’t
Follow through on their word
It doesn’t matter if your disappointment
Goes unheard

It doesn’t matter if you don’t
Hold grudges for wrongdoing
Use your time for things that matter
And should be pursuing

Things That Matter

It matters when you get upset
And what you choose to say
It matters if you take it in
Too sensitive a way

It matters when you don’t come through
On promises you’ve made
A declaration of assurance
That has been betrayed

It matters when you have the knowledge
To make the right choice
But eat junk food because it’s drowned out
By your craving’s voice

It matters when you choose to sit
When your legs work just fine
And simply watch TV and any
Exercise decline

It matters when you complain and
Don’t choose to let it go
It matters when you do not do
And only choose to know

‘Cause wisdom comes from doing things
That matter, while knowledge
Is simply unused insight learned
In institutes like college

Know the difference between things
That matter and do not
“Does this matter?” should always
Be a recurring thought

And you will be surprised at how
Few things actually matter
In time the trivial things will
Disperse, diffuse and scatter

Leaving those few things that do
Matter to great degree
Impossible to ignore ‘cause
They’re all that’s left to see

13 Responses to “Matters”

1. Sunshine March 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Enjoyed your post and I find as one gets older, (hopefully wiser 🙂 ) it gets easier to see what truly matters in life. Thank you! (Oh, just thought you’d like to know, the “e” in your word doesn’t in your title got left behind.) Or maybe it should be that way? 🙂

• Miro March 10, 2012 at 8:27 am #

Thanks for the typo alert! Yes, my “Perfecto’s Vault” is quite empty and I don’t mind if there’s a flaw here or there, so feel free to point them out if you spot them. 🙂

2. ansuyo March 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

These seems to be a theme in the blogosphere. In light of the recent tornados that have left people with nothing, what matters is even more important. Thanks can be replaced, people can’t. Integrity of person matters. Thanks for your post. Angie

• Miro March 10, 2012 at 8:29 am #

And that’s a universal truth that every single person accepts when death and loss rear their head. No matter how “busy” someone is, it’s amazing how everything can be put on hold to deal with things that matter. The key is to remember that every day and not wait for disaster to act as a cosmic slap upside the head.

3. Aspergers Girls March 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

Agreed. And well written. The main challenge for me is the too sensitive part. I don’t know if I will ever change that or if I wish to change that aspect of myself. Though I understand about not letting ego step in the way in regards to taking events/words personally. My brain and spirit seemed to be wired for sensitivity.

• Miro March 10, 2012 at 8:34 am #

One thing is for sure, unless you want it with great vigor and passion, it’s not going to change. The ego is a powerful force and is always looking for reasons to be offended. It’s only through constant effort and training that being overly sensitive can be conquered.

My personal belief is that the spirit is not sensitive, it’s the mortal and temporary mind/brain that is sensitive/selfish. It can’t let things go and takes things personally for selfish reasons. I believe the spirit is where we draw all of our goodness, beauty and selflessness. It lets go. I can’t imagine an eternal force like the human spirit getting upset and offended over anything. It’s certainly what I tap into to get over insignificant and petty annoyances and frustrations. And in my opinion, all frustrations are insignificant. This becomes clear with enough time and effort.

• Aspergers Girls March 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Well spoken. I agree in many ways. What about sensitivity towards others, as it pertains to others being hurt, harmed, suffering, etc? That is more so what I meant in my comment. I admit freely to sometimes letting ego step upfront because of pride, want, defense, etc,. and then I quickly practice ways to release ego. However, I do believe “my” spirit carries a sensitivity to others — at this moment in time, my spirit has love, compassion, and the desire to help others. It is so very hard to even write about because of words like “I,” “believe,” “opinion,” and “my.” I also think anyone who “believes” a particular truth to be the exact way is letting ego speak–if that makes any sense. Lovely to chat. Thanks ~ Sam (I wrote a whole piece on ego; I’ll try to remember to let you know, if I post it.)

4. lscotthoughts March 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Wonderful, Miro, and your last line truly ties your words together! Blessings to you this Friday!

• Miro March 10, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Thank you! Hope you have a fun and productive weekend!

5. Christy Birmingham March 10, 2012 at 11:15 am #

A good reminder to keep in focus what really is important to our days and life in general. You are a wise one Miro.

6. lscotthoughts March 10, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Dear Miro,

I’ve nominated you for the Hope Unites Globally (HUG) Award. If you choose to accept this award, here are the guidelines: http://ahopefortoday.com/2012/01/14/hope-unites-globally-hug-award-guidelines/ Thank you for making the world a better place with your writing. Hugs and Peace~
    Lauren

7. Smilingsunshinegirl March 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Awesome..!

8. granbee March 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Dear, dear Miro–getting to a point in one’s life where there are just those very few things left that truly matter is SUCH an enormous blessing! You are well on your way, dear man! Hooray–lead on, dear warriorpoet!