Junk People

15 Feb

“Sometimes in life as you grow, your friends will either grow or go. Surround yourself with people who reflect values, goals interests and lifestyles.” ~Author Unknown

Junk People

“You are what you eat”
As the old saying goes
But we’re also defined
By the friends that we chose

Just like when we
Only consume junk food
Which leaves us lethargic
And in a bad mood

So too do junk people
Have the same effect
Those who lack drive
In us will reflect

The ones who are lazy
The ones so afraid
Malnourish our spirit
And passion degrade

The ones who seek short cuts
The ones who complain
Junk people encourage
Our dread and disdain

And just as we must
Sometimes clear out the shelves
Of chocolate and chips
To take care of ourselves

So too we must
Sometimes clear out our list
Of junk people who seem to
Constantly resist

The truth that we’re here
To face challenges bravely
To not look on tests
With an attitude gravely

To embrace change and seek
To grow stronger each day
To do all of the things
That we so proudly say

The key to your health
Lies in foods consumed
The same goes for spirit
It lies in folks that bloomed

You must fill your circle
With people who try
People who hope
And themselves apply

Brothers and sisters
Who all show no fear
Who choose to inspire
All those far and near

Don’t worry if you
Cannot track them down
I guarantee there’s
Quite a few in your town

But first you will need
To clear junk people out
And once their effect
Of negative doubt

No longer lingers
You’ll finally see
The positive people
Who’ll help you be free

Of complaining and whining
And accepting less
It’s these positive people
That inspire success

23 Responses to “Junk People”

1. Sue Dreamwalker February 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

So right Miro.. clearing away those who hold a negative vibration can drag us down.. I try so many times to lift certain people. but in their pit they dwell.. And no amount of light thoughts bring them up.. as around they travel within their own creation..

i must remember to add more fruit to my diet though 🙂 she says after eating a chocolate bar just now 🙂 hehe…. Excuse is I burn off energy very quicklyand needed a sugar rush she says.. when a piece of fruit would have done just as well.. 🙂

Another great poem Miro. x

• Miro February 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

I find that to be the case as well. Many times we must simply walk away. I do believe more people have been inspired watching me leave than have been while I was speaking to them face-to-face. I main contributing factor to why I walk away so quickly from people who like to argue. The ego requires so many to figure things out on their own, and forces them to confront themselves when there isn’t anyone else around to confront.

Nothing wrong with the occasional candy bar. It all comes down to what you do consistently and inconsistently. It’s important to make the right choices consistently, and make the wrong ones few and far between, and even then, fully accept the consequences. Have some healthy nuts along with that chocolate to sustain the sugar rush, avoid a quick energy crash and remind yourself that although it tastes great, it’s not going to do you any good in the long run. 🙂

• Sue Dreamwalker February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Smiling here Miro… I have told myself all of that too 😉 and the nuts are next to the fruit bowl 🙂 Naughty but nice once in a while.. 🙂 and I hear all you say my friend even inbetween the lines 🙂

2. Soma Mukherjee February 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

so true Miro very well said..we are in fact every thing we surround ourselves with….we are what we expose our heart and soul to we are what we expose our body to,postive happy inspiring people always bring cheerfulness, hard work and zest for life with them

• Miro February 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Beautifully put, Soma! WordPress has been a fantastic example of that. I’ve met so many positive and inspirational people here, and it’s greatly inspired my own passion and positivity. The “junk people” have been very few, and it’s so nice that we’re given the option to “clear out the cupboards” whenever they rear their heads.

3. Sacrilege of the Goddess February 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

Great job, Miro. I loved this piece so much I had to share it on my blog. I hope others will also gain from the truth of your words. Thank you for writing this!

• Miro February 15, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Thanks for sharing, Suneetra. Much appreciated for spreading the word.

4. granbee February 15, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Surrounding ourselves with postivies and shedding the negatives is absolutely the way to go, Miro. So pleased you were reposted by your first 1-in-1 hundred warrior awardee!

• Miro February 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Thanks Granbee, glad to include you in my diet of positive and inspiring people.

5. Julie Catherine February 16, 2012 at 3:15 am #

I so agree with you, MIro! This is a ‘learned skill’ for some of us who have experienced challenges at times with walking away, with saying ‘no’, and with doing what we know is the right way to nourish ourselves so that we can grow. But learn and take action we must, and in learning to take care of ourselves in this way, we are much more able to spread that positivity and light to others. Thank you for reminding me of that, it’s much appreciated. ~ Julie 🙂

• Miro February 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Thanks Julie. Yes, it can be a little difficult to say no to that junk food as well as to that junk person since we do get momentary enjoyment from it, but you can’t run forever, not from the effects of junk food or junk people. There always comes a day when you don’t like what you see in the mirror and you say “I need a change!” 🙂

6. Nandini February 16, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Another great poem, Miro. And a great message too. I always find such people distracting and hence prefer to be alone than be with them unnecessarily. 🙂

Thank you for this. I’m glad to be here on WordPress, I have met some wonderful nice people, including you. Thank you. 🙂

• Miro February 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

Thank you Nandini. Being able to be okay with solitude is a wonderful trait to have. If we’re constantly surrounded by people, the silence from the few times we’re alone can be deafening. But that solitude can be a lot like bland, healthy foods. Not necessarily very exciting, but good for you in the long haul, and with time you develop and appreciation for what it provides.

Glad to have you in my diet of positive and inspirational people too!

7. Christy February 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

I love the idea of comparing empty calories of junk food to people who are not genuine. It does take time to weed through to the people who offer unconditional love. You are genuine, of that I have no doubt 🙂

• Miro February 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Aw shucks, thanks. 🙂 I’m happy to have you in my diet of honest, courageous and genuine people I know as well.

8. PCC Advantage February 16, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Uh-oh…I think I’m a lazy Junk Person…

(Seriously, though, that was an incredible piece! Beautiful!)

• Miro February 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

The first step to changing it is admitting it. 🙂 Thanks for the kind words, certainly not the words of a “junk person.” 🙂

9. vidhyanair February 17, 2012 at 4:47 am #

wise words miro..enlightened.

10. poeticjourney February 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Another lovely piece from you! God Bless 🙂

11. dontchawannadream February 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Amazing poem, Miro.
    Love how you compare negative people to junk food. Another brilliant idea.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

12. ansuyo February 28, 2012 at 12:21 am #

Wow, I think I will share this with my youth!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks