“Christians”

10 Feb

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Gandhi

“Christians”

Today’s write wages peaceful war
On people that I thought
Were brothers and sisters in Christ
Who the same purpose sought

This message is for “Christians” who
Require set of quotes
Because they miss Christ’s message and
Have anger in their throats

And hearts whenever things go wrong
They vocally shout out
They choose to take things personally
They fight, they hurt, they doubt

They miss Christ’s message of “Let go”
And hold on to their feuds
These “Christians” miss their Savior’s point
And are in angry moods

Even blind men see what the
Word Christian has become
For many it does not inspire
Instead it’s very glum

That is thanks to “Christians” who
Go to church every week
But it’s only in that building
Where Christ they do seek

“Who are you to cast judgement?”
Some “Christians” may accuse
I am a Christian without quotes
Because I always choose

To slice through anger and hatred
Whenever others strike
I love all people, even those
That I don’t really like

I’ve done the work for years and can
Say with full honesty
That when my peace is threatened, I
Choose not to be angry

I do not raise my voice and I
Don’t honk my horn when driving
I’ve understood Christ’s message, that
It’s through peace we are thriving

I say these words not in anger
But in great disappointment
Shame on “Christians” because they
Don’t honor their anointment

Shame on them for besmirching
The name of the Lord’s son
For shame, the “Christians” who are “saved”
But Savior’s teachings shun

We cannot hide our heads in sand
The damage is quite clear
“Christian” is not something that
Most people do revere

Regardless of their faith, it is
A word that many dread
Even followers of Christ
Facepalm and hang their head

It’s in the choices that we make
When things do irritate
You do not get to praise the Lord
And get to be irate

You do not get to be at odds
And avoid all your “foes”
You do not get to say bullshit
Like “It’s them who oppose!”

Or “they are just impossible!”
Or “I won’t speak to them!”
You do not get to follow Christ
And with anger condemn

And that is why this poem here
Will end on these here notes:
If you’re a “Christian” you can still
Remove surrounding quotes

By letting go and following
The word of your great King
You cannot follow Christ and still
To your old anger cling

28 Responses to ““Christians””

1. J. White Sensei February 10, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I have always loved that quote by Gandhi. I enjoyed the poem as well. These are words that every religion, Christian or otherwise, would do well to read and keep in their hearts.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Very true, no matter what name anyone chooses to call Him, the Creator in all religions stands for the same thing.

2. Sue Dreamwalker February 10, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Your Last verse says it all for me Miro.. I have witnessed much anger from those same professed followers of Love and Light, I could say much but you said it all for me 🙂
    Enjoy your weekend Miro.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Thanks Sue. It’s a good example of how the ego and spirit don’t mix. I can’t imagine a spirit or soul getting upset, only the ego/mortal mind.

3. bipolarmuse February 10, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Beautifully said. So sad how so many “christians” do not walk in Christs shoes. He was a humble, non judgmental, kind Christ.
    Thank you, really appreciated this.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Thank you, Muse, glad it resonated with you. Walking in another person’s shoes is usually uncomfortable, which is why so few do it. 🙂

4. Princess Laila February 10, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Beautiful I must say.

It’s the same with every religion… We so easily forget our prophets words.

You really do have an amazing talent.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

So hadn’t thought about it while writing it, but it is a recurring theme with many followers of a higher, selfless purpose.
      Thank you for your kind words, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

5. Step On a Crack February 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

Amen, Brother!

6. Soma Mukherjee February 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Beautiful and as every one else said..it goes for every religion..somewhere our focus and faith has shifted from God to methods and ways of worship….those who worship God in real sense will always respect and takecare of his creations too

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Thank you, Soma. That’s a tough hurdle for many to get over, loving thy “enemy.” it’s important to remember that God too loves everyone, even the people he doesn’t like. 🙂

7. Nandini February 10, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

A great message, Miro. This actually applies to every religion. Most of the people take their religion as some of sort of badge, and then fight over it. The whole perspective of morality is lost. If only they could observe our planet from up above and see how it all doesn’t even matter…

Thanks for sharing the quote.How true! 🙂

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Beautifully put. Yes, it really doesn’t matter. It seems so many “big things” don’t actually matter, and so many “little things” do. Arguing and fighting never accomplishes anything. All it serves to do is disrupt the peace and grace of cooler heads so that they behave in the same manner of egotistical people who are wired to fight. So few have the courage and self-confidence to say “agree to disagree” (or infer it when it’s clear there’s no point in wasting the time to say it) and let it go.

8. ansuyo February 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

This one made me cry. I hate it when “Christians” give Christians a black eye. I know God hates it too. Some are just misguided humans and some are “Christians” because they are not really Christians. It takes more than saying you are one to actually be one, and a real one will be known by his or her fruit or life. Not perfect by any means, but seeking a real relationship with the Savior.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I wouldn’t say he *hates* it. i can’t imagine God hating anything. I do picture him doing a divine facepalm though. 🙂 But as a wise man once said, “Sooner or later, God’ll cut you down.” People like “Christians” don’t irritate me anymore because I have faith the Creator will throw challenge after challenge at them until their spirit’s peaceful voice drowns out their ego’s angry bickering.

9. granbee February 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Totally right on you are, Miro! Hooray for Christian Warrior Poets! I, too, get so fatigued with those “preachers” who think a message is not a “Christian” message if it does not contain a quote and a scripture citations every other line. I am so pleased to see you endorsing the Walk and the Talk the way the Man of Galilee practiced it!

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

thanks Granbee, glad it resonated with you.

10. Jackie L. Robinson February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Love the Gandhi quote. And I fully understand this prose you’ve shared. Just seeing the title of ‘Christians’ in my inbox brought all the emotions to the surface.

Always, I’m amazed with your ability to share such richness, depth, wisdom in your poems. Thank you, my dear friend. xoxo

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

I love the Gandhi quote too. So simple and honest. Glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for your kind words.

11. ladywithatruck February 11, 2012 at 4:39 am #

I always know when I’ve met a true Christian; they have a peace about them, a quiet contentment, and rarely even mention they are Christian. They don’t “preach” ;they walk the walk which says so much more than spouting verses or “bragging” about all the good work they do.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Beautiful description of a Christian. Yes, they have a radiance about them. They don’t carry a weight of worry or concern with them. They’re just tranquil.

• Aspergers Girls March 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Yes. You are right.

12. Eden February 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

There is a sadness that this post, one of those sweet sorrows… The realization that youth is lost, that there is that awkward (often rebellious and difficult) period before maturity comes and one can really get about the business of growing and “BE-ing”. I think a lot of those who hate and spread discord in the names of their faiths often have this one feature in common… They’re all caught in those awkward adolescent years where they think they -should- believe, but they don’t know why.

And like all good siblings, we should try our best to understand, accept their need for their own journey, but protect the rest of our family when they lash out.

• Miro February 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Very true, faith is a great responsibility, and many young people don’t have the maturity to fully understand it or how to discuss it. So many arguments over words, words, words…so few people unwilling to just these trifle words go and understand that it doesn’t matter, and it’s not worth it to argue over.

• Eden February 12, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

No, it’s not worth it to argue over it… But I think that there are points in our lives where we feel we must argue with those who are supporting us, solely because it is where we are in our lives (I say this having helped run-away teens and now especially being the mother of a five year old)…. We use “arguments” to help ourselves define ourselves. And it’s not such a horrible thing, except that some people seem determined to not grow up. 😦

May peace always follow and stay with you.
        –Eden

13. Aspergers Girls March 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Beautiful words. Just what I needed to hear. I posted a “Christian” song on my blog today, because I love the song. I embrace all religions and spiritual-based teachings (e.g., Buddhism) that include the concept of unconditional love, forgiveness, and acceptance. I was sad, because I knew putting the song on my blog would bother some (because of Christians who have, through their actions, given the word a low-vibrational energy). I am sad because the word Christ causes pain, suffering, and bitter memories to some. I would think Christ never intended or wished such a pain to come from his name.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A post in reaction to Miro’s poem: Christians « doyoumeanwhatiknow - February 11, 2012

[…] Christians  by Miro […]