The 1-in-100 Warrior Award

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ~Heraclitus

I’ve been thinking about creating my own award for a while now, but finally put thought into action when I was recently given an award that came along with several conditions. While I’m honored, humbled and grateful to the nominator, and always enjoy the opportunity to give shout outs to other talented writers, I’m disappointed to see that the originator of the award is using it merely for self promotion. This award I’m creating has no URLs attached on the award image, no copyright warnings, and no requirement for future recipients to remind all of where it came from. Like the awards listed in my sidebar, It is meant to go forward and honor new people, not come back to the originator.

So for those unfamiliar with my writings, you may be wondering what exactly a warrior is. Someone who wears a suit of armor and swings a sword around? A participant in a war? Nothing more than a soldier?

If these are the thoughts that spring to mind, think deeper.

A warrior is more than weapons and armor. It is a way of life. It is the belief that the greatest purpose in life is service to others. It is grace amid frustration, peace amid turmoil, and strength amid weakness and misery. We most often use this word to describe the brave men and women who risk their lives in the military and law enforcement to ensure our freedom and safety, but warriors are actually all around us. They’re in factories. They’re in offices. They’re in schools. They’re in hospitals, both as doctors and nurses, and as patients.

Courage. Honesty. Fearlessness. Grace. Peace. Service to others. No complaints. Nothing thought of as a blessing or a curse; everything simply accepted as another challenge to be conquered.

They’re not perfect, and don’t try to be, because they know such aspirations are futile. But they do the absolute best they can with what they’ve been given. Warriors no longer have potential. They are potent! They understand that knowledge is knowing, but wisdom is doing. And they are a very rare breed: as Heraclitus once said, only one out of every one hundred is a true warrior. This award is named in honor of those words and that truth. The symbol of the sword is used to represent their courage and strength, and the symbol of the feather quill pen represents their grace, beauty and creativity.

Guidelines for the 1-in-100 Warrior Award: Warriors are not motivated by awards or fame. They see awards not as an opportunity for the ego to rejoice, but rather an opportunity to honor other warrior brothers and sisters. To acknowledge and honor the rarity of the warrior, it is recommended that the recipient passes this award on to only *one* other blogger that they feel goes above and beyond to serve and inspire others, and who maintains their grace and positivity even in the face of difficult challenges, such as health issues, tragedy, injustice or loss.

Once an author is given the award, they may continue nominating one new blog author once a week, month, year… or whatever seems appropriate. It’s like a knight’s ability to bestow knighthood onto another whenever they choose. But only one at a time. The patience of a warrior is required. 😉

My nomination for the first 1-in-100 Warrior Award is a person who has inspired me greatly because of the grace she has chosen to display in the face of struggles and challenges she has endured and conquered. And make no mistake about it, grace is always a choice, not a reaction. The greater the challenge, the greater the courage required to make that choice. Suneetra is courage personified. She has chosen to not only survive her hardships, but thrive. She’s 1-in-100, and we are lucky to have her: http://sacrilegeofthegoddess.wordpress.com/

21 Responses to “The 1-in-100 Warrior Award”

1. granbee January 28, 2012 at 11:25 am #

How totally wonderful of you to create this award, Miro! Hooray for Suneetra! I will definitely check out her story! Bless you. Lead us on into evermore light, dear warrior!

2. lscotthoughts January 28, 2012 at 11:44 am #

This is a wonderful award, Miro, and your post is truly touching~I will also visit Suneetra and thank you, again, for all you give to your readers. You are inspiring to me, as well as, many~Peace to you on this Saturday~
    Lauren 🙂

3. Bella January 28, 2012 at 11:48 am #

beautiful post and beautiful award! 🙂

4. Deb January 28, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

This is a very honorable award you have created, Miro.
    I am very pleased to have found your site. You help me look deeper within myself…Reaching deeper and deeper until I conquer the source of a problem….You help me realize that the answers are within me, not outside of me….I thank you for that. I grow a little more each day, some days a step backward, but get up and continue to move forward with peace.
    I will check out the site of the one you have nominated.

5. Heidi St. Jean January 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

Always an inspiration to me…Thank you ❤

6. creatingreciprocity January 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Well done – she deserves it.

7. You As A Machine January 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Excellent. This is how it should be. I’m fairly new here, blogging since April 2011 and didn’t even know about these creative awards. It did become obvious, rather quickly all the things you mention in your post. So I applaud your effort at creating an award which transcends all the superficial. Well done.

8. Shonnie January 28, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

VERY COOL award man! 🙂

9. willofheart January 29, 2012 at 4:12 am #

this is wonderful Miro, all you said here touch me, this is truly an inspirations to all dearest warriors…

10. The Emu January 29, 2012 at 4:40 am #

Excellent idea Miro and also the conditions you have set in passing the award on
    Congratulations on a great idea to pass on recognition to the many out there who in their own way are warriors and strive to bring peace, harmony , support and love to those on the net who for various reasons are sad ,lonely and need the hand or ear of a friend
    Emu

11. Bonnie January 29, 2012 at 10:22 am #

This is absolutely beautiful, Miro – the fact that you created such an inspirational and meaningful award and your insightful and heartfelt words behind it. I will definitely head over to a visit to Suneetra’s blog!

12. Jackie L. Robinson January 29, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Love your sharing of the Warrior Award….and the kindness in simply ‘giving.’ Excellent post, leaving us all to contemplate how, where and why we choose to honor the code of the warrior in our own lives.

Thank you for directing us to Suneetra’s blog….headed there now to learn more. xoxo

13. Nandini January 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Making a difference in this chaotic confused worldly world has to be truly appreciated, and this is just one of the many ways. Lots to learn everyday and work upon. Thanks for all your goodness and great words. And what a great post.

14. christyb January 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Your words continue to inspire me Miro.

15. Julie Catherine January 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Miro, you are truly a warrior of the soul, and I am honored to know you. I read Suneetra’s blog, and i wept, even while I applauded her for her dedication and courage. I can’t think of anyone more worthy of this beautiful award you have created. ~ Julie

16. dontchawannadream January 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

What a beautiful award! I think its meaning makes it more unique and I love uniqueness. 😉
    Bravo, Miro.

17. Sue Dreamwalker February 4, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I’m catching up… 🙂 and thought you had created this award.. Great idea Miro…

18. ansuyo February 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

I like it. Awards are appreciated, but often do lead to self-promotion. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s nice to put all that aside sometimes to reward someone for just doing the extra in their blog and their life. I can’t wait to check out this first recipient of your award. Angie

19. Sacrilege of the Goddess February 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Miro, I am so touched by your recognition.

I have walked my path alone for so many years, having carried with me the memories of a life lived in pain. I have been sexually abused, raped, neglected and threatened with murder – but I always found within me, this uknown energy to keep going. I wanted to live. I wanted to love. I wanted to be loved.

Today, as I walk my path, I am no longer alone. My feet are no longer bruised and worn out, my shoulders no longer weighed down with burden. I live. I love. I am loved. That unknown energy still is within me, it still keeps me going. Where it was once merely the tiniest flicker of light, now it is a fullblown, all-consuming fire. Every person who has supported me on my journey; every person who has walked alongside me with my hand in theirs; every person who assisted the transformation of that abused child into the woman I am now, has helped that fire grow. You have been one of them. Through your inspirational words and belief in a better tomorrow, you have helped the fire grow. This fire now lights my path in the darkness that engulfs the lives of other survivors of abuse and rape. This fire now radiates a warmth that removes the chills of memories past, for others who are seeking a life free of pain. This fire now illuminates both myself and those who have joined hands with me so greatly, that others in the darkness can see the flames, even if from a distance it might seem like the tiniest flicker of light, as it once seemed to me.

This fire has a name. HOPE.

Thank you for sharing this journey with me, Miro.

20. Arron February 12, 2014 at 9:40 am #

These are truly great ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some fastidious things here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The 1-In-100 Warrior Award | Sacrilege of the Goddess - February 17, 2012

[…] Miro awarded me the 1-in-100 Warrior Award (you can see this here: The 1-in-100 Warrior Award ). […]