Weak Stick

“The cigarette does the smoking – you’re just the sucker.”  ~Author Unknown

Weak Stick

A lot of traits do come to mind
When I see smokers pull
A cigarette out from a box
And take a deep breath full

Of chemicals, carcinogens
And nicotine and tar
Here’s the picture that they paint
When sucking that cigar

I see a lazy person who
Wants to feel better fast
I see an futile person who
Can’t learn that it won’t last

I see a selfish person who
Pollutes the air we breathe
I see a full grown baby who
Still has the need to teethe

I see a foolish person who
Keeps wasting all their dough
To paint their lungs a darker shade
And make the tumor grow

I see a weak person who doesn’t
See the strength inside
I see a coward who searches
For close places to hide

I see a corpse that’s wasting time
And money and the love
Of all their friends and family
And maybe God above

I see an ingrate piss away
Their health when there’s so many
Who’d give the world to have it back
‘Cause they do not have any

I see a slave with no courage
To break free from their chains
A wimp who can’t withstand withdrawal
Who can’t endure the pains

A spoiled rotten little brat
Who thinks life’s all about
Comfort, pleasure, luxury
Taking the easy route

I challenge every smoker to
Accomplish this one feat
Next time that you get a craving
Before you light that treat

Throw it on the ground and crush
That weak stick with your heel
And throw the rest down there as well
And give them the same deal

Don’t cry about how much they cost
You’ve burned a lot before
Makes no difference if they’re in
Your lungs or on the floor

Crush those weak sticks and then wait
For those shakes to begin
Instead of looking for a fix
Focus and look within

Concentrate and clear your mind
And take it like the rest
Don’t tremble and cry for help
Stand up and beat your chest!

Growl, show some backbone and
Control your weakened mind
Stop being so aloof and
To your own strength so blind

Weaker ones than you have quit
And they put you to shame
Every time you feel the sudden
Urge to light that flame

Lazy, futile, selfish, baby
Foolish, weak and coward
One step closer to a corpse
With every stick devoured

Ingrate, slave, a wimp and spoiled
Rotten little brat
Who doesn’t realize where the
True calming force is at

And sensitive because they never
Want to hear that they
Are doing anything wrong, but
They don’t use that ash tray

Take a look at your sidewalk
Next time you take a stroll
Count the cigarette butts that
You see on your patrol

Then say smokers aren’t lazy
Aloof and big ingrates
Foolish, weak and cowardly
And all these other traits

“But hey, I smoke and I always
Put my butt in the trash!”
Good for you, now go collect
All of your drifting ash

*some taking personal offense at this write might be well served to read

13 Responses to “Weak Stick”

1. Soma Mukherjee January 26, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Those who blow away their life in smoke fill their lung with black smoke, literally burn days of their lives and only have themselves to blame

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Well put. Here’s hoping they realize it’s just a chemical addiction that can be conquered with sheer will and perseverance.

2. bipolarmuse January 26, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Very heart wrenching but true. My Grandmother smoked for years. She quit and more than 20 years later died of lung cancer. She was an inspiration… just quit one day and never looked back. ♥ And in doing so, she motivated my Mom to quit and she has been smoke free 3 years. A beautiful thing.

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Yes, but sometimes the heart wrenching messages are the ones that get through. I can’t recall anyone quitting smoking because I said “Please quit, it’s not good for you, those around you, or the environment.” 🙂

My father quit cold turkey as well 30 years ago. It was inspirational and enlightening to see such will power. He didn’t flip-flop and struggle with it, he simple stopped one day and dealt with the repercussions of getting over an addition. Taking responsibility for the situation he had gotten himself into and doing it so gracefully would have a profound effect on me later in life.
      Thanks for reading.

3. willofheart January 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

smoking is hazardous to the health not only for the person who blow it away but to all person around them… great post Miro…

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Well said my friend. 🙂

4. granbee January 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Miro, I agree with you but there are still people I love who have many admirable and actually BRAVE qualities about other things than cigarettes. I pray every day to SHOW the way, not BLOW them away with my criticisms. Still, I am grateful you speak so forcefully on this issue here, because it does expose that little cowardly part of those otherwise good people who will not “man up” and kick the habit! It is heart-wrenching to watch a loved one die of lung cancer, yes it is.

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Yes, another consequence that those associated with the smoker are forced to endure by the smoker. Not only do they pollute the air (and sometimes sidewalks), but for the ones that get cancer, they force upon their loved ones much misery, having to watch them wither away slowly and painfully, for some leaving lasting, horrifying images. No, I’ve never experienced this personally, but I know of people who have, and many times my writing is a voice for the voiceless.

No sympathy from this warrior whatsoever when it comes to smokers. I agree that there are many smokers who have many positive virtues, but if they do possess that truth and goodness within them, there *must* be a point where they stop poisoning themselves, stop being taken advantage of by paying the ridiculous prices that are being charged for cigarettes and stop being played for fools. We reveal ourselves in the little things we do, and being able to overcome an addiction that’s all about fulling selfish cravings to feel good reveals a lot about a person. So does not being able to, or not even trying.

5. TLS January 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Oh, I love this.
    Perfectly put.
    I tried one, just once, asked a guy I liked for a light. I was at a big party and I had had a very, very bad evening..
    Never again.
    It felt like a thousand tiny pins stabbing my lungs.
    Never, ever again.

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

Thank you kindly. Glad to hear it, effective way of describing it. 🙂

6. jessicamarie19 January 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

That quote is awesome! Suckers indeed!

7. The Emu January 28, 2012 at 6:53 am #

Well mate your words are true in every way , can’t agree with Granbees comment in manning up and kicking the habit , some people were born in a generation when smoking was a part of life with no side effects, its only in this change of generation that the smoking habit is being forcefully bought to the fore , I smoke and started in Vietnam in 1970 , I was being shot at and after the ambush I broke down with adrenalin nerves , someone gave me a smoke , my nerves have never been the same and I still smoke when under pressure or stress ,dont agree with smoking around children or in restaurants but hell if it calms my nerves at my age then so be it
    Cheers
    Emu

• Miro January 28, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Thanks for your thoughts, Emu. I understand that a lot of people start because they’re under incredibly stressful situations, and there are few more difficult or stressful than field combat, which I’ve never experienced. All I can fully relate to is my own past experiences, the extended periods of loss, cruelty and pain. During those years, I had the urges to reach for things that would “make things better.” I tried whiskey for a few days, but it was very clear to me that no foreign substance was going to make my problems go away. I would have to face them head on, and with patience and focus, I would overcome them. It was the absence of shortcuts, quick fixes and crutches that allowed my natural coping abilities to grow and strengthen. You’ve heard of people describe a “natural high,” yes? You can’t get that if you use things like drugs, alcohol or nicotine to alter your behavior. It’s going to be extremely difficult for a long-time smoker to re-wire their brain to not reach for a cigarette to get nerve-calming fix, but warriors relish such challenges to conquer. I encourage them to do it simply for the incredible feeling of accomplishment they’ll feel afterwards, and the illumination to the fact that everything you need to cope is already in you. It’s hard at first, but we fall to the level of our training in time.
      Peace & grace brother warrior,