In Loving Shape

“If you aren’t good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself.” ~Barbara De Angelis

In Loving Shape

You cannot run a marathon
Unless you’ve done the training
No one’s won an election
Without lots of campaigning

You cannot be well versed on topics
Without much research
Your soul or spirit cannot grow
If confined to one church

In all aspects of life we can’t
Do things we hope to do
Unless we do the work to get
In shape to see it through

Which brings us to the people who
Wish they could show more love
Despite their wants they do not have
Much training to show of

And how does one prepare themselves
To love all selflessly?
By loving themselves just as much
To very same degree

Much of loving lies in caring
Protecting, defending
How can one love others when
To themselves they aren’t tending?

How can someone who abuses
Their bodies with drugs
Or alcohol or cigarettes
Hope to give loving hugs?

How can someone who slowly
Poisons their veins with junk
Clogs their arteries and makes
Their heart strain, lurch and clunk

Hope to care for someone else
And rise to do what’s needed
To take care when their own advice
Goes constantly unheeded?

How can someone not in shape
From loving their own body
Caring for it, protecting
So that it isn’t shoddy

Hope to be in any kind
Of shape to love another?
If you can’t help yourself, how much
Can you do for your brother?

Your sister? Mother? Father? Friend?
Your children and your pets?
The most love you can give is the
Same as your body gets

So show some love and make the choice
That’s not rooted in craving
Physically and mentally
We should ourselves be saving

Not torturing ourselves over
Regrets from the past
And not consuming things that have
Bad effects that will last

Get in loving shape by caring
For your own well-being
Then you’ll start to see your love
For others fully freeing

26 Responses to “In Loving Shape”

1. Jackie L. Robinson January 25, 2012 at 8:29 am #

First of all, lovely to *see you in your Gravatar icon!

Secondly, this resonates so much for me. It’s the ‘lesson’ I learned all over again with regard to loving my son. I had to refocus on what was best for me, loving me in order to be fully free to love him. It’s a delicate dance, isn’t it? There’s a peaceful and loving new energy shared between us. He perhaps, has no idea what has changed. But for me, there is a radiating glow we share. And that feels so much better than the angst of conflict I was assisting to create.

Thank you. xo

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Thanks Jackie! I just donated my mane of hair to a charity that makes wigs for children going through chemo, and my wife snapped a few nice pictures of me with my new ‘do. 🙂

I like that you used the word “radiating.” That’s the key word for me when it comes to love, peace, grace, Christianity, enlightenment, and the like. Elbert Hubbard wrote a prayer once in which he talks about how he wants to be “radiant.” It’s something that can’t be missed when we see it in others. There are those who smile and joke all the time, but are not radiant. And there are those who smile ever so slightly and wear all black, but are radiant. They exude peace and grace every moment in every situation, because they’re finally at peace with themselves.
      Glad it resonated and “radiated.” 🙂

2. Deb January 25, 2012 at 9:26 am #

This is such a good poem, that many much read….Those that need to learn to love themselves first. I was one of those people. And even today I find that I could love myself even more. Thank you so much for posting this one, Miro! You are a blessing with your words.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Deb xo

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Thank you Deb, glad it resonated so much with you. It’s constant training, there’ll always be moments where we’re not loving and caring for ourselves as much as we should be, but as long as we make a continuous effort, the good will eventually outweigh the bad.

3. bipolarmuse January 25, 2012 at 10:00 am #

You touch on such amazing truthful and heartfelt subjects.

And how does one prepare themselves
    To love all selflessly?
    By loving themselves just as much
    To very same degree

I personally am working on this… it is not an easy task to change from a criticizer of self, to ones own best friend. It can be done though, and I will accomplish this.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 11:21 am #

Remember the words of Archilochus, “We do not rise to the level of our expectations; we fall to the level of our training.” You won’t love yourself as much as you want to. You’ll love yourself as much as you’ve trained to. Keep at it, every day, and brick by brick, you build it. Nothing worthwhile is easy. 🙂

4. booguloo January 25, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Nice to have found you Well said.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Glad you did too, wishing you continued inspiration. 🙂

5. Anastasia January 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

You inspired me to run this morning! Thanks! 😉

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Love it!
      And so will your friends and family. 🙂

6. granbee January 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” This poem says so freely, so much in the common vernacular, this scriptural teaching. If we do not do well to ourselves, we certainly will not have the strength, the wisdom, or the love, to do well to others. Like your new picture and your new blog style, Miro.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Gracias! 🙂 I should add patience to those traits as well. The more patient we are with ourselves, the more patient we will be with others.
      Thanks for reading, glad it resonated.

7. poeticjourney January 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Another beautiful poem, you shared with us. You right how can we love if we can’t fully love ourself. We can’t tell no one anything if we not taking heed ourself. God Bless 🙂

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Thank you, glad you enjoyed. God bless you as well. 🙂

8. Sue Dreamwalker January 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

It has to start with loving one’s self.. Brilliant poem Miro.. ~ Sue Dreamwalker 🙂

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks Sue. Yes, no shortcuts. You have to build love from the ground up, and the foundation is the person in the mirror.

9. Sunshine January 26, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Loving and caring begins at home . . .a foundation for parents like me to always remember. Thanks Miro and I would like to pass this HUG Award http://wp.me/p1RzUf-Dg
    to you for such wonderful and inspiring work you do here.
    ~Abundant blessings to you and your blog.

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Thanks so much! Such a lovely award. As the old saying goes, you can’t give a hug without getting a hug, so here’s a great big warrior hug right back at you. 🙂

10. christyb January 26, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Yes, care for yourself as much, if not more, than you care for others. Only you truly know what you need, so feed yourself and care for yourself as required. A message to inspire in the poem!

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 10:56 am #

So true, thanks for reading Christy!

11. Nandini January 28, 2012 at 8:46 am #

I need to learn this more. Thanks for this motivation, Miro! 🙂

• Miro January 28, 2012 at 8:52 am #

You’re welcome, happy training. 🙂

12. dustinjackson November 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Right on! The first step is to love yourself before you can receive it from others. Great post!

13. Miro January 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Thank you, you’ve inspired me right back. 🙂
    Peace & grace to you always,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. While Chasing Kids - January 26, 2012

[…] a lot, Miro, your poem was truly inspiring and I feel good about myself even though I cannot move my limbs!  […]

2. Farmers Cheese Pancakes « While Chasing Kids - January 26, 2012