Distant Tough Guy

Distant Tough Guy

I’ve got another true story
To share with you today
It gives you an idea of the
Game that some ‘tough guys’ play

It started innocently when
A smoker flicked his butt
Since I am a warrior
I don’t  keep my mouth shut

“That belongs in the garbage”
I calmly said to him
That’s when this ‘tough guy’ started
To boil to the brim

He shouted many swear words and
Said “Mind your own business!”
“It is,” I said, “I live here too”
Quite calmly with no stress

The interesting part is when
Our paths then did diverge
He suddenly got really brave
And acted like a scourge

Across a skating rink that was
Adorned with kids on ice
He threatened me with profane words
And that I’d pay the price

He motioned with his hand for me
To come and start a brawl
Interesting that it took
Ten yards to find his gall

No, I did not oblige him
I’m not an imbecile
But I was curious to see
If ‘tough guy’ would fulfill

His threats to kick my ass if I
Stopped walking, so I stood
Waiting as he looked back and
Said all the things he could

Do to me because I spoke
Five words not to his liking
Repeatedly he looked back but
Not once did he stop hiking

Maybe it’s because I’m tall
Or have a warrior’s build
Maybe it’s because when he
Blew his top, I stayed chilled

Whatever reason may have been
I learned something right there
Some ‘tough guys’ talk a real big game
But only walk and stare

Never let a loud mouth cause you
Any kind of stress
All they’re trying to do is
Their own ego impress

I’m sure he kept on walking and
Telling himself how bad
A ‘mofo’ that he is and that
He would have made me sad

If only I had come his way
And gotten in his face
I’m sure he’s caused many to run
Away at a fast pace

I wonder if the image of
A warrior just standing
Waiting patiently for him
To come through will be branding

Onto him, a memory
Of how a patient chap
Showed him how his ‘tough guy’ threats
Are just a bunch of crap

So it is with all bullies
The farther that you get
The bigger that their claims are of
How you should fear and fret

22 Responses to “Distant Tough Guy”

1. granbee January 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

You were really casting your bread upon the waters here, Miro! Kudos to you and to this encouraging poem. I recently experienced just smiling and waving with no speaking offered for several days to someone who had chosen to be angry with me for my social justice positions in our country here in the U.S. Today, they smiled and spoke with me as if they have never been angry.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks Granbee. It’s so true, deep down we all know that it’s silly to get upset. Nobody can seem to hold onto that feeling forever, especially when it’s being slowly killed with kindness. 🙂

2. poeticjourney January 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Another good and you so right, many talk a good game, but never back it up. God Bless 🙂

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Thanks, much appreciated. 🙂

3. Sue Dreamwalker January 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Excellent Miro, I have often found those with the loudest shout, have no clout….People today are battling all day long with that fiery foe, the ego.. … Some Tough guys just like to hear the sound of their own voices.. Wishing you a good and litter-free day ~Dreamwalker

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

Yes. I’ve been one myself a few times in the past, as I’m sure many have, and no one can convince themselves that volume helps anything. In my moments of “loudest shout,” I found the words of those that were calm, peaceful and patient to reverberate longer than any of my words ever could, and in discussions I’ve had with people like this ‘distant tough guy,’ I can’t help but think that in a few hours when he’s cooled down, he’ll feel the same way. 🙂

4. Deb January 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

That guy was nothing more than a big mouth bully…Bullies are weak, hiding behind their mouth….Which it turn causes them to run and cower when they use it up against someone like you…Love, patience and a quiet soul it the one with all the backbone…That is what you displayed.
    Excellent poem, Miro!
    Hugs, Deb xx

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Thanks Deb, beautifully put. 🙂

5. Savira January 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

How true this is… You stood strong yet willed with patience and compassion and that can unnerve even the strongest fool!

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Yes, people are often confused by things out of the ordinary. They want things by the numbers. Someone pisses them off, they rant and yell, the other person does the same, and a fight ensues. They don’t know what to make of someone who refuses to go along with the socially accepted protocols for arguing and refuses to be controlled or influenced by other people’s emotions. But as he walked away, I told him “You know the truth.” The truth within is a far greater tormentor than anyone who disagrees could ever be.

6. ansuyo January 26, 2012 at 12:23 am #

I’m always amazed at how smokers think it’s ok to throw their butts around. I’m glad he walked away and showed his lack of courage. I’m amazed at how you can put a story into poetry form. Angie

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Thanks Angie. It’s amazing how many cig butts are on the ground when you take a moment to notice them.

I’ve stopped looking at things as bad experiences. Everything is a learning experience, regardless of how unpleasant or uncomfortable they are. You can learn just as much from someone who does something wrong as you can from someone who does it right. Writing about it is a great way of sharing what I’ve learned with others and hopefully helping them to understand similar experiences.

7. willofheart January 26, 2012 at 1:34 am #

I am absolutely feel wow with this piece, I personally hate bullying …

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Don’t hate it…that in a way is giving the bully power to control your emotions. Understand it, but don’t let it upset you. Their hatred shouldn’t be allowed to spread into us as well.

8. gingerfightback January 26, 2012 at 4:57 am #

Thanks for this – we meet so many of these people in our lives……

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Welcome, thanks for reading. 🙂

9. zendictive January 26, 2012 at 9:04 am #

the ignorant can’t swallow the truth…
    I found myself in a similar situation yesterday, I was out numbered, like a pack of wolves they follow the alpha dog, stare him down and they all walk away with tails between their legs from not allowing them to instill their unhappiness in me, always remaining calm with the sword of truth and the shield of honesty. you wield it well (~_~)

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 9:13 am #

So true, Savira used the word “unnerved” and I think it’s the perfect way to describe how people who become upset act when they encounter someone who does not allow their emotions to be influenced by their own anger. I believe it’s because everyone knows the truth deep down inside, and they know the truth when they see it, no matter how unpleasant, uncomfortable or painful it it. When someone’s upset and they encounter someone who doesn’t lose their cool, they know which is the true path to take, and shame ensues for their shortcomings.
      Thanks for sharing your inspiring story, zen brother. Sometimes there’s strength in one and weakness in numbers. Just ask Heraclitus. 🙂

10. christyb January 26, 2012 at 10:43 am #

So many great messages here Miro. I love the form you use to share your words and the narrative given here flowed so well. I always look forward to reading your posts!
    christyb

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Thanks so much Christy, I’ll be sure to keep the ballads of peace, strength & grace coming. 🙂

11. Nandini January 28, 2012 at 8:36 am #

A great message, Miro. 🙂

“Never let a loud mouth cause you
    Any kind of stress
    All they’re trying to do is
    Their own ego impress”

It reminded me of my favorite quotation –
    “The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I’ve tried to follow this for many years now, and will keep doing. Thanks for your poem, I loved it!

• Miro January 28, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Thanks Nandini. I love that quote from Marcus Aurelius. I’ve been using many of his quotes on the Facebook Page for Warrior Poet Wisdom. An amazing man.
      Have a fun and productive weekend!