Embarrassed

“The rate at which a person can mature is directly proportional to the embarrassment he can tolerate.” ~Douglas Engelbart

Embarrassed

I talked the other day about
A word that I won’t use
“Jealousy” is not the only
Word I strove to lose

“Embarrassed” is a word that isn’t
Part of my vocab
When others try to poke their fun
I just don’t feel their jab

Embarrassment is rooted in
The fear of ridicule
The fear that others will disprove
The fear you won’t be cool

And fear is something that I don’t
Allow to guide my path
My journey cannot be diverted
By a bully’s wrath

And that’s exactly what one is
Whenever they make fun
Instead of kudos and esteem
They simply choose to shun

Belittle, bad-mouth, criticize
Diminish and deride
Discredit, downplay, minimize
With attitude so snide

The irony that hit me just
A couple years ago
Was that the true cowards were those
That always seemed to crow

About how silly I would look
When I would do my thing
How absurd my interests were
Despite the joy they’d bring

It dawned on me there was no point
In trying to appease
People who had contracted
The deadly “Fear Disease”

Those who always thought twice of
The things that they enjoyed
Because embarrassment was what
They wanted to avoid

They picked the clothes most likely to
Be thought of as “in style”
They changed their interests to those that
Were least likely to rile

They were too scared to stand apart
To stand alone, unique
They’d rather be lost in the crowd
That be considered “geek”

They were afraid and disappointed
That themselves they failed
That they let the door slam shut
By Fear and had been jailed

When I read of warriors
Who had no thought of Fear
My actions, interests and purpose
Had become very clear

No longer did Fear’s voice whisper
“What will the others think?”
Instead, my Courage screamed “Watch out!
I’m breaking out this clink!”

And it continues to bellow
Its strong and steady voice
Reassuring constantly
To help make the right choice

“Nevermind what cowards think!
The followers, the sheep!
Let them spew their ignorance
‘Cause I don’t give a *bleep*!

Let them watch from the sidelines
And snicker as I run
Towards the end zone while they stand
And get not one thing done

Laugh and mock the things I do
While they make very sure
That nothing on their end could be
Considered immature

Living to avoid the jeers
Of those who don’t deserve
Any kind of respect ‘cause
They don’t have any nerve”

Do what makes you happy and
Don’t ever be afraid
Of embarrassment because
It only makes joy fade

Recognize that those you fear
Are just as scared as you
Content to sit, banter and watch
As your Courage breaks through

26 Responses to “Embarrassed”

1. Jackie L. Robinson January 24, 2012 at 7:33 am #

The deadly ‘fear disease.’ I like that.

After my conversations last week about humiliation and following our guidance, I had an experience yesterday in which it took very little thought or effort to just do what seemed so silly and I couldn’t understand. It had profound impact. Beautiful poem, Miro. xoxo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I’m so glad to hear that Jackie, it’s encouraging to hear that others are coming to this realization as well. *That’s* the feeling we should be getting addicted to, the feeling of confidence and self-empowerment, not to chemical-altering shortcuts such as pills, drugs or alcohol.

2. celestealluvial January 24, 2012 at 7:53 am #

Gracefully declining the urge to be embarrassed in exchange for humility or learning something new is an art form, one that usually comes with age for most. Loved the poem. 🙂 It was fiery and persevering. Thanks for sharing! Celeste

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Thank you, glad it resonated with you. It’s true, age is usually the awakening to this knowledge and wisdom. Even with little effort, the years will eventually enlighten us to the fact that other people’s opinions don’t really matter, especially the opinions of the fearful. But there are a few young ones who “try harder” and rack up the same amount of enlightening experiences in a small amount of time. 🙂

3. poeticjourney January 24, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Another beautiful poem from you and you made good points as well! God Bless 🙂

4. christyb January 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

I don’t give a ‘bleep’ either! hehe
    Pay attention to your own needs and don’t worry what other people think of you. Great warrior motto Miro!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

I think it’s also important to bring attention to it when others try to make you feel embarrassed. For many years, I used to just shrug it off, but lately, I’ve been asking questions. Ironically enough, a few people have been…well…embarrassed by my frankness. Point missed. 🙂
      Thanks for reading.

5. Savira January 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

You have a fantastic way with words…..I always feel that when a situation like this happens I like the turn the tables…..

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Yes, it’s funny how quickly those who mock and make fun can be blushing themselves when they’re put on the spot. 🙂

6. psychevida January 24, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

As a linguist I covet words to an extreme degree. – It is such a good reminder that there are some words we should let go of!! Thank you.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Absolutely! The most important thing to always remember is “where is it coming from?” I know most of my mentors and people I genuinely respect and admire would never try to make someone feel embarrassed. It’s only those with little confidence, great fear and feelings of inadequacy that try to tear down others that are in the midst of doing what they are passionate about.

7. dontchawannadream January 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

I think I’m gonna print this poem and read it everyday, Miro!!! It’s beautifully written as always and brilliant. I really needed to read this today. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Thanks Charlotte, I’m very glad to hear that. May your courage spread and be an inspiration to others as well.

8. willofheart January 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

I admire your way of sharing thoughts and wisdom through wordings very powerful,…

9. granbee January 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

This enslavement to embarrassment has rendered a dear lady I know into a self-imposed jail cell very narrow and very ill-lighted. She is literally shrinking before our very eyes as she tries harder and harder never to rile anyone with anything genuine. Thank you so much for these words inciting us to soul-riot today!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

My pleasure. Soul-riot…that’s a good way of putting it. 🙂
      Glad you enjoyed, thanks for commenting.

10. ansuyo January 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Just like other emotions, others cannot “make” you feel embarrassment. You are embarrassed because you are telling yourself lies about what other people think and the importance of those thoughts (should they even exist). Good poem – seems to be a theme around the blogosphere today 🙂 Angie

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Thank you kindly. Yes, the common truth we all are aware of is being acknowledged little by little. 🙂

11. The Emu January 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

An excellent descriptive way of letting us see into your thinking
    Emu aka Ian

• Miro January 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Domo arigato, kind sir. 🙂

12. lscotthoughts January 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Wonderful, Miro, and your last verse truly summed it up! 🙂

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Thank you, glad to hear it. 🙂

13. Too creative for this life January 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Yes the cowards are the ones that crow.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:28 am #