Workout Whiners

“Stop whining!” ~Arnold Schwarzenegger

Workout Whiners

“Ow, my arms are sore today
‘Cause of P90X”
So many do complain as they
Rub sore muscles and flex

Why are there so many trainers
Who instruct their pupils
On how to get bodies in shape
But not how to tone scruples?

The exerciser is driven
With goal of looking ripped
But rarely are they told to be
Of soreness nondescript

It doesn’t do them any good
To cry about their aches
Keeping your mouth shut about
The soreness is what makes

A person grow much stronger and
More disciplined as well
The point is not just to endure
It’s to have grace through hell

Look at all the great athletes
From years gone by ‘till now
How many of them complained
Of soreness and said “ow”?

How many great boxers, bikers
Football, tennis players
Whined about their workouts and
Were pessimistic sayers?

Keep in mind next time you’re coached
If they forget to teach
That in addition to hard work
It’s vital not to screech

It’s part of mental discipline
To absorb all the strain
Take comfort that it will pass
And don’t complain of pain

And for those who will respond with
“It is quite good to mention
Anything that’s bothering
For the sake of prevention”

You’ve missed the point, this topic’s not
About what you sound like
When you’re throwing weights around
Or riding on that bike

It is about the little aches
That we complain about
The little soreness that we could
Accept but choose to pout

Awakened muscles used for the
First time in quite a while
Of course they’re going to protest and
Treat pain sensors hostile

“Stop whining” as Arnold said
And so many before
The soreness in your muscles is
Part of the workout chore

22 Responses to “Workout Whiners”

1. Cat Forsley January 23, 2012 at 8:21 am #

GREAT POEM ……
    SO RIGHT HUH – WHEN PEOPLE WORK OUT THEY LOVE TO SHOW THEIR “OWS” ……..ONSET DELAYED MUSCE SORENESS …..
    WHATEVER – IT’S JUST LACTIC ACID —- IT’S A GOOD SIGN THE MUSCLES ARE CHANGING AND GROWING ……

I DON’T GO TO THE GYM ——– BECAUSE OF THE OW PEOPLE !
    AND BECAUSE I LIKE TO DO MY OWN THING AND JUST DO YOGA AND STUFF AT HOME – BY MYSELF ……
    GREAT POEM – INFUSED WITH A LITTLE HUMOUR ——-!!!!!
    have a Great week Miro !
    Cat x

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 23, 2012 at 9:16 am #

That’s a great way of looking at it, as lactic acid. A natural reaction that is to be expected. Complainers of this give us a little peak into how they may react to other things going on in their lives; unwilling to accept the consequences of their actions gracefully.

Yes, it can be very nice to workout alone in peace. My wife loves yoga and is training to be an instructor. It’s an amazing blend of physical and spiritual exercise.

Have a fun and productive week Cat!

2. Jackie L. Robinson January 23, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Just feels like more ego talk…there will always be stretching, soreness, discomfort as we grow. When we focus on it, IT grows. Love your witty poems, filled with sharp insight. xo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 23, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I hadn’t thought of it that way, great observation. It really is the ego saying “Hey everybody, look at me! Look what I did, aren’t I awesome?” 🙂
      Thanks for reading, I appreciate your support and encouragement. I love your write as well, always truthful, fearless and soulful.

3. christyb January 23, 2012 at 9:25 am #

“And so this too shall pass.” I have used those words to help me through some of my hard times. I enjoyed the comical elements included in this poem, a good poem to start my day!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:44 am #

Thank you, glad to hear it. That’s a great motto to live by. I also apply it to the blissful moments as well, and it helps me have greater gratitude for them, and less frustration when they’re over. 🙂

4. granbee January 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

It is the little gripes and twitches that we love to hold close to our bosoms and nurse into something dramatic!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:47 am #

While the grace, courage and humility starves. Quite alright though, it always finds a way to survive. 🙂

5. willofheart January 23, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

this piece makes me smile coz now I am into more physical fitness program to be fit …. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:50 am #

That’s great, you’ll soon reap the benefits of greater energy, focus and willpower. 🙂

6. ansuyo January 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I like the aspect of working out morals! Maybe they find that too painful? 🙂 Angie

7. AMSDaily January 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Warrior poet wisdom, thank you for the award. Here is the link: http://amsdaily.net/2012/01/23/blog-awards/
    Continue to inspire me more with your blog!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:55 am #

Thank you. Don’t forget to inspire yourself as well. I won’t be around forever. 🙂

8. Savira January 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Maybe it is a way of seeking attention…. you have woven wit…humor and a makes you wanna re think( for lack of a better word) all together!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 24, 2012 at 8:56 am #

Thank you, provoking thought is what it’s all about. Here’s to the courageous ones who aren’t afraid of wading into the “deep end” of thinking. 🙂

9. poeticjourney January 24, 2012 at 10:46 am #

Another beautiful poem! 🙂

10. lscotthoughts January 25, 2012 at 12:00 am #

Another “work” of art, Miro! Peace to you this evening… 🙂

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Thank you, glad you enjoyed. 🙂

11. Sunshine January 26, 2012 at 12:49 am #

🙂 Enjoyed your poem today . . . glad I’m past the age for intense exercise. My poor heart would give out but you’re right, it would be a pain to hear people complain like that. 🙂

• Miro January 26, 2012 at 8:14 am #

Although I’m still relatively young, my days of intense exercise are behind me as well due to injuries. It took me a while to figure out though that just because my limits changed (lowered), that didn’t mean I still couldn’t push them. 🙂