Confronted

“When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet in his private heart no man much respects himself.” ~Mark Twain

Confronted

A fascinating thing occurs
When others do confront
Ego puts up defenses
When we hear truth that’s blunt

When we’re alone, we’re well aware
We are far from perfect
But when there’s someone else around
The ego goes unchecked

Suddenly we do no wrong
And those who are candid
Make us feel with their review
Like cow being branded

We feel put on the spot and are
Afraid they know the truth
We say things like “You don’t know me!”
And start to lose our couth

The fear is that the things we think
Are most imperative
Are really insignificant
For what we need to live

I’ve heard from hundreds who have said
“Your rhymes are truth to me”
And many times they did not fill
The reader with much glee

They did not feel all warm and fuzzy
Like when they have read
A sugar-sweet one-liner where
Not one tough truth is said

You’ll never get control of your
Ego with head in sand
Confrontation need’nt be
Battled like your last stand

Take a breath and listen to
The pounding in your chest
The buzzing in your brain that’s making
You feel oh so stressed

Forget about the person that
You think has brought this on
Only for a moment pretend
That they are now gone

And look within to see the true
Culprit which brought you stress
The two-faced ego which before
When alone did confess

To you that you are not perfect
That you have made mistakes
That you are riddled with regret
And don’t have what it takes

It’s those who do not shy away
From confronting ego
That finally do break its grip
And learn, evolve and grow

They do not let it control them
Instead, it’s on their chain
Fully under control so that
Peace and grace can reign

20 Responses to “Confronted”

1. Sue Dreamwalker January 22, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Everything has to do with Ego Miro, we often do not confront our own egotistical self… But would sooner blame anyone rather than ourselves.. another very insightful poem.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 22, 2012 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Sue. Yes, it’s all about ego, and it never ceases to amaze me how few people are aware of that. Whenever ego is brought up, so many people get touchy about it. It’s a tell tale sign of the biggest egos actually, the people who get offended, protest it too loudly and stomp off. Most often they accuse me right back of having a massive ego, and glean nothing from my lack of offense at the accusation. 🙂

2. Cat Forsley January 22, 2012 at 11:02 am #

INSIGHT MIRO – INSIGHT – LOVED IT – RESONATED AND AMPLIFIED !
    SENDS ME RIGHT TO THIS SONG THAT I LOVE “NOBODY KNOWS ME” BY THE WEEPIES ….
    YOUR WORDS ARE BECOMING MORE AND MORE LYRICAL – HAPPY SUNDAY …
    CAT

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 22, 2012 at 11:23 am #

Thanks, sister, glad you enjoyed it. I’ll check that song out. 🙂
      Have a fun and productive day!

3. Sheena January 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Mark Twain had a real way with words, speaking simple truth so beautifully. I read an entire self help book about the ego and how you feel such entitlement to never be insulted. Once you realize you’re not you tend to get less mad. I don’t know where the line is between not getting mad (which I don’t so easy) and standing up for myself. I have a tendency to perceive too many things as a threat to be continuous insulting and feel compelled to “outdo” that person so the leave me alone. Now if I could just slow my reaction and think for a few minutes. Lovely poem Miro, as always, insightful too.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

For sure, entitlement is such a huge culprit. Especially entitlement to comfort and luxury. Some people really lose their shit when their easy ride is threatened, and will ironically put their minds through hell to retain that easy ride.

Yes, it can be tricky to know when to speak up. I say just follow your intuition, and when you do, most of the time it’ll offend people. Just accept that it’s not about enlightening them or changing their mind; it’s about being true to yourself and fearless, not caring about their opinion. As a bonus, a seed may be planted, but that could take years or decades to sprout. Slowing down and taking a moment to breathe and think is always the best course. Even holding up a hand and saying “wait” so that you can close your eyes and clear your mind can tell you a lot about the other person. If they don’t have the patience to permit you that, then they most likely don’t have the patience to hear any of your thoughts either.

• Sheena January 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

And this is why I heart you and your blog.

4. lscotthoughts January 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Loved this, too! Miro 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Aw, thanks Sheena & Lscott, I heart you and your writes too. You’re both so talented, keep creating!

5. ansuyo January 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

The two-faced ego which before
    When alone did confess — so true. And we always tend to minimize our own while maximizing others – maybe to keep from truly looking at our own. I saw you on Wishing Circle and came over to check you out. I will be a return customer:) Have a great one. Angie

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

Yes, most are afraid of what’s inside, it’s so much easier to wage war against others than wage it inward. Glad you dropped by, thanks for reading.

6. Soma Mukherjee January 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Ego is real Goblin isnt it..and of all the things people say the ones we react to strongly sometimes are us just trying to veil the truth, what we know is true too
    very well wriiten piece Miro..

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 23, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Very true. That’s why I always tell people that once we part ways and there’s no more need for defensive posturing, the truth will be deafening to them. So many think it’s about being right and winning arguments. When we let go of the desire to “win” and “be right” and simply say “think about it when I’m not around,” clarity comes. 🙂

• Nandini January 23, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Very true. I won’t say that I’m always able to do that, but I am trying, and so learning every time. And now, I will work hard on it. Only then peace would be achievable, including the peace of mind.

Thanks, for sharing this Miro. 🙂

7. Sunshine January 23, 2012 at 12:40 am #

The ego, so complex and I wonder, parents of very young children can start the ego training so as an adult, the ego is not controlling “instead, it’s on their chain
    fully under control…”
    Thanks again for putting the brain on reflective mode, Miro!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 23, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Yes, it would be so valuable to children if they were taught from an early age by their parents to be aware of the ego, just as if they were taught about the value of healthy eating. Unfortunately there are many adults who are still not aware of the value themselves, and not only that, when their children learn that value, the parents resist it, because how could a child possibly be wire than its parent, regardless of the work the child has done and the lack of work the parent has done? 🙂
      Peace & grace

8. Jackie L. Robinson January 23, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Confronting ego….it comes around in ways we least expect it. Ever present, feeling uncomfortable, but laced with grace and a desire to assist us grow, deepen our connections and become authentic. Thank you for this. xoxo

9. granbee January 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Controlling our own egos is SUCH a challenge and SO worth the struggle! Wonderfully framed poem making us look ourselves square in the face!

10. willofheart January 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

ego is good if you know how to control it and I guess this is a challenge for everybody….

Trackbacks/Pingbacks