Woe is Me

“Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.” ~Og Mandino

Woe is Me

Allow me to use my soap box
To cry about my woes
I’d like to writhe in misery
And focus on my lows

I will express ingratitude
By focusing on times
That hurt, frustrated, caused me stress
The awful unjust crimes

Instead of thinking all about
The good things in my life
A father, mother, brothers, sisters
Nieces, nephew, wife

Employment when so many can’t
Get hired anywhere
Ability to walk when some
Are confined to wheelchair

Woe is me! Forget all that!
This is about my hurt!
Because I didn’t get the things
For which I did exert!

My fears about the things I’ll lose
My angst for selfish wants
My nightmares that I can’t let go
Of old forgotten haunts

I take the time to create this
And hope it will be read
Because I need someone to say
“Please feel better instead!”

And I will still not figure out
It won’t do any good
Until I stop my complaining
And do the thing I should

Because a write of angst does not
Inspire or empower
It helps not author or reader
To light their darkest hour

Perhaps some day I will attain
This universal fact:
That woe is NOT me, I am not
Damaged, broken or cracked

I have a well of strength within
Of love and grace and peace
But when I cry about myself
All of these virtues cease

Anyways, back to my tears
And bitter agony
My torture, torment, misery
My me and me and me

Let me know how much you care
By saying “It’s alright!”
“Hope that you feel better soon!”
And “Have a pleasant night!”

We’ll keep it up ‘till one of us
Sees that it goes nowhere
And recognizes there’s no point
To writings of despair

(In case you cannot detect my
Sarcasm in this write
I am not really suffering
From anguish or from plight

I am a warrior which means
When going does get tough
I do not cry, instead I say
“I haven’t had enough!

One more just like that and then
Another if you please!”
Think of this woeful poem
As just a little tease)

19 Responses to “Woe is Me”

1. christyb January 20, 2012 at 9:57 am #

I like the message: be positive and concentrate on what you DO have rather than what you are missing. Well put!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 20, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Thanks. Yes, as long as blood still pumps and breath enters and exits lungs, there’s still something to be grateful for.

2. Sue Dreamwalker January 20, 2012 at 11:21 am #

We wouldnt be human if we didnt at times say enough is enough.. But then some days I have my doubts Im human too! 😉 I went through my own discovery of the woe is me is not me.. but it creeps in from time to time…
    And loved this view of the Woefull
    Blessings sent your way, and I know you always remember you have many 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Thanks Sue. I’ve been pondering the concept of people who don’t react to stressful situations in the common, stressful way as being thought of as “inhuman,” “not normal,” “heartless” or even “sociopaths.” It’s unfortunate that a great degree of focus and concentration can be so easily dismissed by those who don’t employ the same amount. I can say in all honesty that for the past year, I have not been angry, stressed or frustrated for more than a quick passing moment. The natural reaction of the ego still occurs, but I’m able to quickly identify the feeling for what it is, and slash it to ribbons. We truly are in control of how much misery or joy we feel every day.

3. celestealluvial January 20, 2012 at 11:26 am #

well written, loved it! And I love Og quotes too!! 😉

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Thank you, glad to hear it resonated with you.

4. zendictive January 20, 2012 at 11:37 am #

a warrior endures
    your endurance is remarkable (~_~)

5. Julie Catherine January 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm #

Bravo, Miro, an excellent write! (And do I ever know a couple of people this applies to! – unfortunately, they would never read this, because if they did, they might have to actually do something about it, lol.) I definitely acknowledge that life can be stressful; it can throw you a curve-ball just when you think you’re finally getting to the top of that hill; bad things can happen to good people … but, there comes a point when you need to let go of all of that; to take responsibility for your own happiness, your own future, and have the courage to redirect your own path. We all fall short; it’s the human condition. I believe that it’s when we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and keep trying with a grateful heart that is filled with love, compassion and gratitude for our blessings, that we can finally begin to take more steps forward than backwards. ~ Julie 🙂

6. Jackie L. Robinson January 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

That woe is NOT me, I am not
    Damaged, broken or cracked

I have a well of strength within
    Of love and grace and peace

I love this part, Miro. For too long we have become accustomed to seeing ourselves as damaged, living in the disfunction of it. What a beautiful release and connection to understand who we are – ‘love and grace and peace.’ And when we’re not feeling it, somehow WE have moved away from its presence.

Thank you, dear friend. Such talented writing you share. xoxo

7. granbee January 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Miro, we here who so joyously follow your blog every day enjoy it when you get in a teasing mood. But you do make a very good point about folks who only wank, wank, wank about what they don’t have instead of thank,thank,thank what they DO have! We join you in warrioring on! Lead on, Braveheart!

8. aussieian2011 January 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

My friend you certainly have a talent with words
    That was great to read and well strung together
    The story and lesson within was beautifully illustrated
    Ian aka Emu

9. Deb January 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

So well written! We all have days that we are focused on our own issues…If we didn’t we would not be human…But you are tough.
    Hugs, xx

10. Cosmo Christian Chick January 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

I literally just finished balling about the “WHY OH GODs!!!!” in my life when I read your poem. Thank you for reminding me that for every hurt, there is a healing. That when I focus on the broken, I can’t see the mended.

11. khushjenny January 22, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Your writings have always amazed me!!. Such a beautiful way to spread positiveness.. 🙂 Love your Poems Miro.. You are a great soul

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Thank you, Jenny, so nice of you to say. I very much appreciate your…well…appreciation. And your writing as well. I think we just started a mutual appreciation society. 🙂

12. lscotthoughts January 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Wonderfully written, Miro! I think we do have our “moments” because we are human, but this is a great reminder to keep moving forward and endure…thank you and peaceful wishes to you this afternoon~ 🙂

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 8:17 pm #