Try Harder

“Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more. ” ~Edward H. Harriman

Try Harder

When you try your best and it doesn’t work
And you lose your cool and then go berserk
Try harder

When you make a plan that’s not in the cards
When you’re tackled short of just a few yards
Try harder

When you get a message and you think it can wait
And you put off responding ‘till a later date
Try harder

When you’ve had a bad day that’s pushed you to the brink
And you try to find solace by grabbing a drink
Try harder

When you’re mad at someone ’cause they screwed up once more
And you unload on them with your vengeful roar
Try harder

When you know you should go for a jog or a run
But you stay on the couch because it’s more fun
Try harder

When you’re asked for your help but you tell them “I can’t”
Because you’re so busy you’ve no time to grant
Try harder

When you see something weird and make fun with jokes
‘Cause your personal tastes are not like those folks
Try harder

When you throw in the towel and whimper “I quit!”
‘Cause you can’t bare to take another big hit
Try harder

When you come home from work and just sit on the couch
And spend your evening being a tired grouch
Try harder

When someone you love doesn’t get your attention
When their thoughtfulness doesn’t get any mention
Try harder

When you read or see something that brings up your mood
But you don’t share with others so they’ll feel renewed
Try harder

28 Responses to “Try Harder”

1. Jackie L. Robinson January 18, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Reaching deeper, growing more. I love this from The Four Agreements: ‘Do Your Best.’ Yesterday’s best will not be today’s, nor tomorrow’s. Give today’s best. Also, Maya Angelou: When you know better, you do better. Thanks Miro. xo

2. Sue Dreamwalker January 18, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Always hope I try, and I love the last verse Miro, Hope that your day is a good one, and thank you for sharing your insightful poems with us all here… for they do brighten my day Sue

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Thanks Sue. Every day is a good one for those who live with an attitude of gratitude, not one of entitlement. Glad to hear they add to your own light. Shine on!

3. bipolarmuse January 18, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Love the ending… giving is a huge part of feeling good about yourself. 🙂 And it is the kind thing to do…

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Absolutely. It’s one of those universal truths that even the most self-centered person can’t argue forever. Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed.

4. Cat Forsley January 18, 2012 at 11:10 am #

sharing is caring Miro …… for sure ….. the last line – the very best ————- share your heart and surrender it by giving it all …..
    Great poem
    x
    Cat

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Yes, the more we give, the more we get. The funny thing is we get to the point where we don’t want anything anymore, and that’s when the most starts being returned to us; when we’re not motivated by it anymore. 🙂

• Cat Forsley January 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

I SO agree ! Kindness and sharing their own rewards – what else is there but being open —- 🙂 🙂 🙂

5. Julie Catherine January 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

An excellent, well-crafted poem, Miro, that is inspiring and also speaks plainly of the need to “try harder”, no matter what. Nicely done, I really enjoyed reading this. ~ Julie 🙂

6. zendictive January 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

above and beyond (~_~)

7. Step On a Crack January 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Miro!

This is PERFECT!

I am printing this one out and hanging it up

Yes. Perfect!

Peace, jen

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Always love to hear that. It’s not enough to just read something once. We fall to the level of our training. Hope it continues to inspire and motivate.

8. granbee January 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Miro, after reading and pondering this post, my mantra for the remainder of this week–and onward– is “try harder, granbee!” Bless you. Lead on, oh Prince Valiant! (Check out that comic strip on Google after the blackout!)

9. Caddo Veil January 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

This is wonderful!! Quite the impressive welcome, for my first visit here–wow! I do embrace that Warrior Spirit, I must say–and thank you for saying it so eloquently. God bless you.

10. Varun Porwal January 19, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Super duper awesome… loved it… I got a very good inspiration today.. “Try Harder”

11. aussieian2011 January 19, 2012 at 4:26 am #

Well my friend , that writing is certainly a kick into ones thinking
    You covered most aspects of life where we need to try harder
    Cheers
    Ian aka Emu

12. wishingcircle January 19, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Yup. There is nothing outside that you cannot change by trying harder (inside). Love your post. I think I am going to do my first linked post with this..:)

13. christyb January 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Great message! I tweeted it and hope it will inspire all those who read it!

14. lscotthoughts January 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

What an inspiring and uplifting message, Miro, and I needed it today! Thank you, Sir! 🙂

15. Nandini January 20, 2012 at 8:41 am #

This really hit me. Great words. Thank you so much for providing this. How great was that moment when I stumbled upon your blog. 🙂 🙂

16. khushjenny January 22, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Amazing 🙂 .. Try harder and get better 🙂

17. timotheous128 January 25, 2012 at 10:47 am #

This is terrific, Miro, and powerful! An excellent reminder to press on and keep fighting, to live a warrior’s life.

• Miro January 25, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Thanks, glad it resonated. Fight the good fight every moment, every minute, every day. 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Be True To Who You Are « You As A Machine - May 10, 2012

[…] -Miro, Warrior Poet Wisdom […]

2. No-Mo « WARRIOR POET WISDOM - November 6, 2012

[…] But that would be weird, right? Visiting a stranger that you don’t know and offering solidarity and support. That’s just crazy. It’s much more effective to grow hair on your upper lip for all those strangers who are battling for their lives that we’d rather not be around because they’re suffering…and we’d rather not be around that level of pain and struggle. It’s much easier to just put up with the slight inconvenience of having a hairy upper lip for a month. Movember is just another one of those things I shake my head at and simply say, “try harder.” […]