The Old Child

“A warrior is never under siege. To be under siege implies that one has personal possessions that could be blockaded. A warrior has nothing in the world except his impeccability, and impeccability cannot be threatened.” ~Don Juan

The Old Child
(based on a true story)

The other day at City Hall
While I sat and did write
Beside me I heard an old man
Complain and bitch and fight

He spoke on his cell phone to someone
That had let him down
He berated and badmouthed them
While wearing quite a frown

After several minutes he
Then made another call
This person too was on the end
Of his frustrated brawl

He talked of self-importance and
How he won’t stand for it
And swore a blue streak while he threw
A little child’s fit

And just as he finished his call
A young man sauntered by
And asked him for a smoke because
His carton had run dry

This old man man scoffed and said “No way
Why don’t you get a job?”
A dirty look of disgust was
What he then chose to lob

The young man then moved on to me
And made the same request
I made an effort to be nice
And smile as I confessed

“I don’t smoke” and he smiled back
But after a few feet
He turned around and walked back to
The first man he did greet

“You do not have to be so rude”
The young man said to old
“Go to hell!” the old man said
And other words did scold

The young man took another step
Said “Got a problem, pal?”
Suddenly the old man had
Not quite as much morale

“No,” he said and waved him off
And young man walked away
Old man then turned to face me
Expecting me to say

“What a jerk” or “little punk”
But instead I asked him
“What’s the greatest purpose in
Your life?” which made him grim

He got upset just as he had
With two calls and the smoker
He called me way too deep and some
Brainwashed pathetic joker

I calmly said “That’s the problem
You don’t think deep enough
You’re more concerned with shallow thoughts
Like acting big and tough”

I watched calmly as ego writhed
And spat and flailed away
Feeling as if under fire
With venom to spray

I told him “When I’m gone and you
Have no need to posture
When ego is alone you’ll hear
Your own truth and be sure

That serving others is what we
Are placed here to achieve
The ones who serve only themselves
Are those who always grieve”

He blew things out of proportion
And missed many a notion
“What am I supposed to do?”
He said with great commotion

“I don’t have any smokes so what
Do you want me to do?”
I said “Just ‘cause you can’t oblige
Does not mean you must spew

Anger, hatred, disrespect
And treat people so poor”
Then I mentioned his two calls
Which made him insecure

He got up in a huff and said
He’d had enough of me
I told him that he was still young
But one day he would see

He laughed and said he was older
Than me but I inquired:
“Does age to you only mean how
Many years have expired?

Or does it mean how much you’ve learned
How much grace you’ve amassed
Or is it just how many days
Of breathing that have passed?”

Once again his ego screamed
And said “If you’re so nice
Why don’t you go give that stupid
Bum your Mac device?”

“You’ve missed the point” I said again
“He didn’t ask for it
He asked me for a smoke and then
He smiled with no fit

For you he turned around and wanted
To engage in war
And you backed down ‘cause of the two
It seems that you had more

To lose, and that’s the root of why
You’re always so upset
You cause your own frustration when
You want but you don’t get

You don’t accept what is, instead
You swear and point a finger
Never realizing how
Your hateful words do linger”

There’s only so much truth that an
Old child can hear at once
He gathered all his things and stood
While calling me a dunce

I noted that he once again
Was seeking comfort ‘cause
He didn’t find it comfortable
To have his brain abuzz

All he wanted from me was
A nod in agreement
But warriors do not pander
To those who rant and vent

And I imagine once that old
Child has cooled his mind
Let go of his anger and
Looked within he will find

That he’s in fact the cause of all
His unrest and turmoil
There’s only one person to blame
Just one that is his foil

I saw a light bulb moment when
I told him that old truth
For just one second he did not
Look so much like a youth

And that’s because no matter how
Upset we may all get
The truth deep down inside of us
Illuminates our fret

He walked away while mumbling
With much to think about
Deep thoughts which will cast his selfish
Way of life in doubt

That wisdom has little to do
With years or centuries
Some are youthful wise old souls
And some, just old babies

21 Responses to “The Old Child”

1. bipolarmuse January 17, 2012 at 10:06 am #

We are here to serve others

I love this entire piece but this stood out to me. I have often considered doing volunteer work to help others to find my mood lift and feel happiness because I know in my heart of hearts that it would be a road to peace.

Thank you for sharing this.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:52 am #

It’s make a monumental difference in my life. For years I worked in the entertainment industry, which is one of the most selfish, ego-driven businesses there are, and was always left feeling unfulfilled. Only when I started creating for the sake of inspiring others with no motivation of fame or fortune did I finally start having a feeling of purpose. It’s what we were created to do. The best way to help yourself is to help others.

2. christyb January 17, 2012 at 10:28 am #

There are so many wonderful lines here!! Age is more than just a number is my favourite concept that you touch on.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Thanks. It’s something I’ve been pondering more of lately, the concept of “old souls” in young bodies, since many people older than me have described my writing in this way. Age is another way many people use their eyes to think. They see grey hairs and make assumptions, just as older folks see a young face and make assumptions. I like to throw older people who act like children for a loop by calling them “still young.” Interesting that something that would usually be such a compliment for them can make them upset if it’s said to them while they *know* they’re acting immature and are called on it. 🙂

3. wishingcircle January 17, 2012 at 11:24 am #

I could not agree with your more.

4. Carrie January 17, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Very true! When I am grumpy I notice I run into a lot of grumpy people, put a smile on my face and everyone else starts smiling back. I always *try* to approach life with a smile and kind words; actually the worse I feel the harder I try and invariably I have a really good day and meet a lot of really great positive people. I know if I succumbed to my bad mood I would have had a bad day.

So simple yet so many people just don’t get it.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Yes! We create our own joy or misery. We must break the habit of waiting for others to give us what we want and make us feel good. That isn’t anyone’s responsibility but our own. The simplest things are usually the hardest things for most to understand, since many of us tend to blow things out of proportion (as the old man did when he heard “can I have a cigarette?” and took that to mean “can I have your laptop?”)

5. granbee January 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

In this wannabe retirement town in NW Alabama I am surrounded by old children! Thanks so much for giving me more ideas on how to confront these old fretters with some extra spiritual warfare techniques!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I’ve found that the ones who fret the most have also had the most and been forced to lose the least. Ironic that the ones who worry the most have had the easiest rides of us all, and those who have endured the great storms and fires are the ones at genuine peace.

6. melissabluefineart January 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

There are old children everywhere. Unfortunately I don’t think they will benefit from efforts to enlighten them. I have come to believe the best thing is to remove myself-physically, if I can. If not, I close my eyes and repeat a mantra until their whine fades away.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

Great techniques. In my younger days, I wasn’t able to engage in such discussions at such length because, being the emotional empath that I am, their frustration, anger and unrest would evoke the same feelings in myself. Since employing the way of the warrior, I’ve experienced an inner calm and grace I’ve never had before. I still encounter selfish, ignorant and argumentative people, but their negative emotions seem to flow freely through me without any effect. Without fail, everyone that I’ve encountered has eventually felt ashamed at their behavior after cooling down and seeing how I’ve not allowed them to influence my own emotions. They’ve all chosen to walk away in frustration or a desire for comfort (not wanting to ‘think so deep’ anymore), and I imagine seeds have been planted. I know it was true for me, whenever I encountered a warrior who kept their peace and grace in the face of my own belligerent behavior towards them. Eventually, when we’re all alone and there’s no one to try to look tough or smart around, the truth is deafening. It was for me at least.

7. lscotthoughts January 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

I’ve seen many “old children,” too, Miro! This is a great depiction of their actions~

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Thanks. Yes, they’re everywhere, but we must also keep an eye out for those “old timers” with no greys or wrinkles. 🙂

8. Soma Mukherjee January 18, 2012 at 12:10 am #

Hi Miro I have nominated you for Genuine Blogger Award. Please follow the link to know more http://somkritya.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/genuine-blogger-award-2/

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Thank you kindly, Soma, for this and your continued support and encouragement. Shine on, sister!

9. aussieian2011 January 18, 2012 at 3:16 am #

A great writing my friend , well put together with all the observations of wisdom , you have seen what we mostly see every day but never confront directly ,we tend to avoid confrontation in the face of adversity but as you brilliantly illustrated sometimes confronting the negative vibes may give rise to self analysis and a waking of the mind
    Ian

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 18, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Yes, it’s that search for comfort again. Speaking up to say “I disagree” is usually not a very comfortable thing to do, unless one has studied their own ego in those instances. Egos are all very similar, and once the light has been shed on their typical behavior, their actions don’t have to be blown out of proportion. Someone with a flared up ego isn’t being hurtful, vile or aggressive. They’re just frightened and flailing like a drowning victim. Those who have their ego in check are in no danger of being pulled under.

10. Sue Dreamwalker January 18, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Miro, what can I say, your observations of human behaviour here is astounding, let alone you put it in verse,… Many just need to stand in front of the Mirror and take a hard look at who they vent their anger out at, and it is often found to be themselves.. Often qualities we dislike are the very ones we ourselves show..
    I hope that this Old Child went to bed that evening with a story of words ringing in his ears.. and hopefully for a moment or two lets hope he listened to the Warriors Words of Wisdom..

11. zendictive January 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

clearly defined (~_~)

12. dontchawannadream January 19, 2012 at 5:59 am #

I so loved this poem, Miro!!! I’ve met many many old babies too. They are everywhere.