You’re vs Your

“Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” ~Ralph Wiggum

You’re vs Your

It’s gotten out of hand, I just
Can’t take it anymore
Does anyone still remember
How to use “you’re” and “your?”

If I see one more person write
“Your funny” on the net
I may do something with my laptop
That I will regret

It’s not “you’re house” or “you’re city”
Nor is it “your welcome”
I’m being so bombarded that
I feel I’ll soon succumb

To using these improperly
Because of sheer exposure
It’s enough to make you lose
All of you’re composure

Because your constantly seeing
No one give a care
How did proper grammar become
So extremely rare?

You’re average Joe just can’t seem to
Grasp simple concepts like
Abbreviating “you are” by
Making “a” take a hike

And separating both the sides
With an apostrophe
What’s the matter, don’t have enough
Time to find that key?

Is it missing from you’re phone?
Or maybe your too busy?
Wait a second, is that right?
I’m feeling a bit dizzy

I think I’ll go and lie down while
Your reading this here ballad
And if you’re built-in spell check thinks
That my grammar is valid

If your finished reading this
And can’t find my mistakes
If nothing here seems incorrect
If you’re head never shakes

I’ll firmly plant my face inside
My palm to show the fail
Because my sarcastic lesson
Has been to no avail

~Miro 😉

20 Responses to “You’re vs Your”

1. Amy January 16, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Love this post! I was going to leave a snide comment mixing up your and you’re, but really you have said it all… 🙂

2. Julie Catherine January 16, 2012 at 10:26 am #

YAY! Another poet with the same pet peeve; now I don’t feel quite so alone, lol. I hate to sound like a ‘grammar cop’ – but poems that are otherwise quite good are ruined for me when the writer consistently uses incorrect grammar, punctuation and word choices. And if an aspiring writer thinks it isn’t that important, or that it interferes with their creative process, just wait until you try to pass your work by an accomplished editor – it’s a cruel world out there. (You’ve just reminded me that I wrote a poem on word usage awhile back; I’ll have to dig it out and post it on my blog also.)

Excellent poem Miro, by the way, but it’s riddled with grammar errors. Touché ~ Julie 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 16, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Agreed! While I don’t strive for perfection (see “Perfecto’s Vault) and don’t get too worked up about the odd typo here and there, something like your vs you’re is a sign of laziness. I believe in doing everything with passion and intensity, and taking grammatical shortcuts or simply not caring will always take away from the power of a message. Editing is not fun, and that’s why so few can call themselves successful published writers. As with anything in life, the people who embrace the uncomfortable things go further than the ones who don’t do things they don’t feel like doing because they’re unpleasant, boring or not fun.
      Thanks for you’re comment…whoops! 🙂

3. bipolarmuse January 16, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

4. pbus1 January 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Hi Miro,

I loved this post! 🙂 I think this poem is my favorite, to date! 🙂 It brought back fond memories of my teaching days! Have a blessed day!

Paulette

5. aussieian2011 January 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Well written mate , but am I being picky in saying
    That you’re wrong in the line , I quote
    You’re average Joe just can’t seem to
    Now I’m getting bloody confused

Ian aka Emu

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 16, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Your right, thanks for you’re feedback. Whoops! 🙂

6. lscotthoughts January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Love it, love it, love it! I agree with Julie Catherine. I also feel like a “grammar cop” as this has also been my pet peeve and I started to wonder if these errors were considered to be “okay” now…I now know the answer! Thanks, Miro, and bows, to you! 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

As long as I have my broadsword, it most certainly is *not* okay. 🙂

7. J. A. Robinson January 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

YES!!!! I’ve been a manuscript editor/course developer for over 30 years. I love this.

–John

8. Sunshine January 17, 2012 at 3:23 am #

Sometimes all it takes (we hope) is a gentle reminder to get it down right…here is hoping this lesson will reach the write *gasp* I mean, the right ones!
    Also my thank you post: http://wp.me/p1RzUf-zj
    for the gift you sent. 🙂

9. Anastasia January 17, 2012 at 4:31 am #

Man, I didn’t know people get so touchy about their language! Oh wait, I’m Russian, we look down at people who make even slightest mistakes! I wish I could write a poem and teach my husband to say “anecdote” instead of “anticdote”. Alas, I don’t poses your talent! Thanks for sharing!

10. christyb January 17, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Haha very funny – and true, people are constantly mixing up their grammar. Point taken!

11. granbee January 17, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Wonderfully humorous way to express my own frustratoin with people randomly interchanging “your” and “you’re”. Apparently, they never learned what the apostophe signifies the absence thereof.

12. LadyT January 17, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

*your head 🙂

13. Sue Dreamwalker January 18, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I KNOW I make many a mistake, failing my 11plus exam aged Eleven years old, I was not the brightest in the school playground( this exam way back in the UK determined where you went to school, the one for the bright! or the one for the not so bright. ).. Lucky for me I had an excellent English teacher who encouraged my reading skills and so improved my spelling skills, as to my grammar! well still learning there 🙂 and thank goodness for that wonderful gift of SPELL CHECKER.. Loved ‘your’ post Miro, and ‘You’re’ a very Wise Poet..:-)

14. zendictive January 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

I may be guilty of this, I am sometimes pressd for time and don’t always proof read comments but I do proof read my posts… what’s with that? ‘your’ right… I should pay more attention cause ‘you’re’ and ‘your’ means two different things… thanks for your post (grin) always insightful.