Jealousy

“A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.” ~Robert A. Heinlein

Jealousy

Today I want to talk about
A trait that I can’t stand
Jealousy’s an attribute
We should work to disband

The definition of ‘jealous’
Is to resent someone
Who has acquired some success
While you have received none

A mental unease from suspicion
Shortcoming or fear
Of a so-called rival who is
Actually a peer

“I’m so jealous!” I always hear
People say when they see
Fortune smile on someone else
And all they think is “Me!”

“Why that person and not Me?”
Is what the jealous think
But where’s the jealousy whenever
That rival does sink?

When hardships befall someone else
Where is the green eyed beast?
The jealous just go “Phew!” and think
“It is not Me, at least!”

The common trait of jealousy
Is that it’s all inward
“To think the world does not revolve
Around Me is absurd!”

They think that every stroke of luck
And fortune should be for
Themselves and that is why it is
A trait I do abhor

The jealous don’t say “Kudos!” or
“Congrats on your success!”
While your fruition brings you joy
To them it causes stress

They don’t see the war you have fought
Or hardships you’ve endured
Because they’re still just children
And have not yet matured

“Kid-ults” with a self-absorbed
Concept of everything
Only interested in what
The world to them can bring

“Nevermind the other people
Who walk the Earth too
How can I be happy when
Good fortune smiles on you?”

Next time, please think long and hard
Before you use that term
If you think how it’s defined
It should cause you to squirm

To think about how selfish and
Self-centered it would make
A person who utters that word
And maybe it will wake

The altruist you have within
Who will be happy for
Another person’s happiness
And wish them even more

20 Responses to “Jealousy”

1. Soma Mukherjee January 13, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Such a beauty Miro and so true jealosy born of insecurity and a small mind…it doesnt like others been happy but wont let you work for it either…loved it

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 13, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Yes, it’s a very ugly emotion when you stop and think about it. Ungrateful, unreasonable and impossible to please.
      Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed.

2. Sue Dreamwalker January 13, 2012 at 9:41 am #

The Green eyed monster I have seen much of… And lived in fear as a child from parental arguments.. A great poem Miro and you have given much food for thought here.. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 13, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Yes, it’s a very natural trait, and not a pleasant one to identify or combat for our own egos. Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it.

3. khushjenny January 13, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Eye opener post.. You know. I try never to miss any of your post.. It gives me beautiful life lesson and makes me more positive .. and you are such a great soul..

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 13, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Thanks, it’s nice to know people are making an effort to read on a regular basis. I appreciate all of the comments about how beautiful and powerful people think my writings are. I only hope they realize it resonates with them so much because of the beauty and power within themselves. 🙂
      Stay beautiful & powerful,

4. Too creative for this life January 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Thanks for liking my post, and I’m so glad you did so I could find your blog. I love this poem and your last comment here, that we find beauty and power in what others write becaue we already have beauty and power within us. I can’t wait to read more of your blog.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Glad to hear it resonated, thanks for reading. Tomorrow’s post is all about resonance from within. 🙂

5. granbee January 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Miro, I ADORE your term “Kid-ults”. Priceless! However, if there were no “kid-ults” in my worlds, I would lose much of my inspiration for my posts, not to mention my writing in general! When these “kid-ults” are ranting on and on in “ME,ME,ME” mode, I am frantically scribbling under the table! They DO have their uses!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Absolutely. Nobody need cause us frustration. We can learn just as much from observing someone do something “wrong” as we can from someone doing something “right.”

6. August McLaughlin January 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Rich with insight… Thank you!

7. Miles January 14, 2012 at 12:30 am #

Great post 🙂

8. willofheart January 14, 2012 at 10:35 am #

this is interesting post Miro tackling about the strong emotions out of owning, yes why we get jealous if our life become a mess… love this…

9. Blood-Ink-Diary January 15, 2012 at 1:48 am #

Miro, what magnitude of a poet you are! Each word of your poem is like clay that results as a gorgeous sculpture — the ‘process’ is the ultimate for me rather than the ened results. Have read few of your poems, I esteem and relish your work. What a powerful poem (but you know this!). keep penning, never stop for you shall deprive the rest of us from such a treat — to ponder, probe and resonate together. Cheers.

10. Blood-Ink-Diary January 15, 2012 at 1:49 am #

oops typo “end” is what I meant not “ened”. lol.

11. lscotthoughts January 16, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Your words written are so true, Miro. Thanks for another great reminder for our everyday lives! 🙂

12. Nandini January 16, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Jealousy is a waste of time, really! 🙂 Great words Miro!

13. pbus1 February 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Poignant as always! I left this one in my inbox, so that I would be sure to read it! Thanks! God bless!