A Flock of Warriors

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ~Heraclitus

A Flock of Warriors

For years I’ve searched for a group to
Be proud to call my tribe
A flock of warriors who all
Exude the same brave vibe

I scoured schools, some work places
And many different churches
None of these locations proved
To be successful searches

I saw the same thing everywhere
They had complacency
They didn’t have desire to
Be all that they could be

They all fell in to one big massive
Comfortable deep sleep
They didn’t want a single soul
Disrupting with a peep

Epiphany then came to me
From a quote that I read
Heraclitus spoke how many
Warriors are bred

He said “Of every hundred men
Ten shouldn’t be present
Eighty are just targets so that
Arrows can be spent

Nine are fighters, honor them
For they do make the battle
Ah, but that one left over
Of him let us now prattle:

That one is a warrior
And he will bring them back”
These statistics are why I can’t
Find a warrior pack

It’s just not there, does not exist
They are a unique breed
Their numbers, one in one hundred
Just will never exceed

Their virtues get diluted when
Surrounded by the weak
The scared, the selfish, remorseful
The ones who think things bleak

I now accept and understand
The warrior is sole
They do not need a group or clique
In order to feel whole

‘Cause what they have inside is worth
A hundred thousand friends
An endless peace and strength and grace
That loneliness transcends

30 Responses to “A Flock of Warriors”

1. Sue Dreamwalker January 9, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Warriors wear many hats as they battle through the lies,
    Each one doing battle with their own familiar cries
    A Warrior is for noble cause when seeking to Bring the Light
    And I am proud to battle on your battle field and continue with that Fight..

What an excellent Poem Miro… Keep on battling on… for the Battle is being won, even though at times it may seem we fight alone..
    Love and Peace.. ~Dreamwalker

2. Soma Mukherjee January 9, 2012 at 8:56 am #

What a beauty you are so gifted Miro..this peice is one of my favourites absolutely marvelous

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 9, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Thank you, so kind of you to say. And thank you for your beautiful and inspiring writing, as well.

3. khushjenny January 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Awesome 🙂 …Miro,,

4. creatingreciprocity January 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Interesting points.

5. Cat Forsley January 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Autonomous yet Unified in Knowing —-
    I think this is my favourite piece of yours from what i have read—-
    Need to sit down and stay still for a few hours and really take a lot of beautiful wisdom in ! Thank You for the provocative – meaningful way You Put things together
    Best To You X Cat

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Thank you. Be warned though, wisdom isn’t something you can cram in one sitting. Much like the equally beautiful and strong diamond, wisdom takes time and pressure to form. 🙂

• Cat Forsley January 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

I am beginning to understand that – wisdom comes in flashes and then compressed in heart – then learned again – then it disappears with the banality of life . i have always love the whole concept of how diamonds are so strong and emit so much light but take so much time .
        Enjoying Your writing very much –
        here is a song / video i made about diamonds – for a friend of mine ….
        enjoy !
        best to you
        xx
        Cat

6. granbee January 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I have always loved this quote from Heraclitus. In later years, I learned to love and admire the stand-aloneness of Mother Teresa. She was a true spirit warrior. And can you image St. Michael waiting for the troops to “come up” before he slew that dragon, the Evil One? Right on, Miro–right on!

7. You As A Machine January 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Absolutely, this is an outstanding piece. Very well done.

8. lscotthoughts January 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Hi Miro,

I’ve nominated you for the Candle Lighter Award, so please visit me for more info:
    Blessings, Lauren

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Thank so much, Lauren. I’m quite honored. 🙂

9. pbus1 January 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Well done! Excellent message, with many great points! God bless!

Paulette

10. sarsm January 10, 2012 at 2:41 am #

Fantastic!

11. aussieian2011 January 10, 2012 at 4:10 am #

As a Vietnam veteran your quotation at the start struck me as having a lot of truth , combined with your words you make valid points and the one that comes to mind is , the lone warrior is truly alone after the battle is over
    Ian

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Thank you, I’m always greatly honored to hear when my work resonates with a former soldier. Thank you for your service to your countrymen and your brothers in arms. You are a true warrior, selfless and courageous.
      Peace, grace and much love, brother,

12. Nandini January 10, 2012 at 7:42 am #

Beautiful wisdom. I really liked the last eight lines. Love and strength are where the heart lies. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Absolutely, and it’s why so many are miserable. They possess love and strength, but don’t have the courage or confidence yet to employ it.

• Nandini January 10, 2012 at 11:12 am #

True. I have few friends like that, or perhaps, sometimes, I too become like them. But I am aware of that and certainly want to avoid the fear. 🙂

13. zendictive January 10, 2012 at 10:00 am #

you know, when I was younger and wilder I was in what we called a gang and some where doing this time I realized that there is no honor in a pack of people acting like wolves, giving true wolves a bad name and decided then it was better to be a lone wolf with integrity then to run in a pack have no honor.

I enjoyed this read and the message (~_~)

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:31 am #

“Groupthink” strikes again! Interesting that most animals don’t suffer from this phenomenon (a notable exception being lemmings!). Only humans seem to get dumber when their numbers grow. 🙂

14. Jackie L. Robinson January 10, 2012 at 10:11 am #

A theme I’m seeing on so many posts just now – be who you are, honor the voice within, ‘autonomy.’ Your ability to write with such depth and prose always amazes and inspires me, Miro. xo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Thank you, sister warrior, glad it’s shedding light on your own truth within. 🙂

15. willofheart January 11, 2012 at 1:40 am #

this is excellent and brilliant I love all the stanza specially the last part… keep on sharing u’re wisdom Miro …

16. Erin McNaughton March 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

This is so beautiful and relatable…simply brilliant, and I especially love the final two stanzas. Your words are always so powerful. Thank you.