Clique

“They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.” ~Forrest E. Morgan

Clique

I’ve never been a fan of cliques
When folks have little groups
Of people that they know real well
Their comfortable small troupes

They form their inner circles where
They work and where they pray
It’s only folks they recognize
They’ll give the time of day

They do not welcome strangers in
With warmth and fearlessness
They don’t want to know more people
Instead, they do want less

Illumination came to me
When I spoke to someone
Who told me that because he was
So busy, he would shun

He only had time for himself
And those that he called “friend”
He made it clear he didn’t want
His circle to extend

And so each time he met someone
He didn’t recognize
His walls went up because he didn’t
Want some more allies

I find the whole thing even sadder
Since he follows Christ
A man who’s greeting to others
Was never, ever iced

Christ welcomed all with open arms
Embraced, invited in
He didn’t say “Sorry, I’d like
To keep my circle thin”

“Jesus Christ” is what I think
When I do think about
All the people who do not
Let their little cliques sprout

“Jesus Christ” is what I think
When I see Christians who
Do not go the extra mile
When they do greet you

“Jesus Christ” is what I think
When I see those with fear
Too afraid to open up
And hold new people dear

‘Cause Jesus Christ was fearless, loving
Trusting and intending
To add everyone to his clique
And keep the group extending

24 Responses to “Clique”

1. Cat Forsley January 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Open hearts will open more hearts —— C 🙂
    beautifulllllllll +++

2. poeticjourney January 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Love it! God Bless You 🙂

3. eof737 January 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

And the world is full of cliques and groups and so on… We embrace and move on. 🙂

4. aussieian2011 January 9, 2012 at 2:12 am #

Great words on what I feel is pandemic in our world today
    Too frightened to open up , too frightened to get involved
    Mankind has lost something in evolving
    I think its wisdom , tolerance , understanding and acceptance
    Well written
    Ian aka Emu

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 9, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Thank you. Knowledge is knowing, wisdom is doing. We all know we should be more fearless and outgoing. It’s the wise ones who stop talking, stand up, and move that learn something about all of the traits you’ve mentioned.

5. Sue Dreamwalker January 9, 2012 at 9:02 am #

many are fearful of letting others into their world ~ I have been cut out from many such circles for the fear I knew more, and those said leaders who should embrace all, need Control at their hearts to feel good about themselves… So keep only the yes people near them… Arrgh…. so many such people have so much to learn Miro… We are all as equal as Kings and Queens,,,, and we are no higher or better than any homeless person walking the streets… We are all equal… I wish however that Mankind could stop for one moment and see how selfish he has become and understand that the only way we can progress fully is that we need to Unite in harmony and tolerance.. accepting each as equals as Ian has said above.. Blessings sent your way x

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 9, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, we will never be better than anyone else, just like we’ll never be less. But the society we live in today is so driven by competition, it’s been laid in our neural pathways since we were toddlers. It’s up to us to slash those pathways to ribbons and create new ones. I’ve asked many people the question, “What is the greatest purpose in life?” and many of responded with “I don’t know” and searched for an answer that had something to do with their own gain. When I tell them it’s “service to others,” I always get a look of bewilderment. It’s an age old truth that they’ve forgotten that has just had a light shone upon it.

6. khushjenny January 9, 2012 at 11:59 am #

Such a beautiful Post 🙂

7. granbee January 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Completely awesome and powerful post today, Miro! I absolutely refuse to go to wedding receptions at country clubs for this reason. I give wedding gifts. I joyfully attend the weddings themselves. I simply CANNOT see myself continuing to follow my Lord into an apparent sanction of exclusivity.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Thank you, Granbee. Ever consider a different tactic? Instead of refusing to attend, what if you, like Jesus, act as a light in the darkness? Greet everyone warmly, engage everyone, even people who aren’t inviting, and not be sensitive or get offended by their lack of reciprocation? We cannot simply avoid things that frustrate or disappoint us. A big part of being a warrior is to walk tall directly into discomfort. I’ve done this at numerous churches and have gained much self-respect for knowing I did my best. Whether others did their best is up to them to decide. I can only create opportunities, I can’t make them realize their potential for them.

• Caddo Veil January 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Oh WOW–now there’s a challenge. I congratulate you on your true warrior efforts!

8. Nandini January 10, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Great message. I too noticed it (not that I didn’t know) while reading it, that I have never been a part of a clique. I had friends, good friends, who had their clique among themselves. But I was always with myself, and sometimes with a close friend. I had observed their secretive patterns too. Human nature is human nature.

Loved your poem. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 10, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Thank you Nandini. I don’t have many kind things to say about people who are closed off and aren’t friendly or inviting to newcomers when their clique encounters them. It’s selfishness, fear, laziness and desire for comfort all in effect when an outsider is given the common chilly reception by a clique or group. This is how animals behave, but some humans can’t seem to tell the difference yet.

• Nandini January 10, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Exactly! That’s a nice comparison to the animal behavior. Great wisdom. 🙂

9. zendictive January 10, 2012 at 10:44 am #

well, this would be where I should have posted about when I was a young and wild (~_~)

funny how humans flock together… there is good ones and bad ones…surround yourself with good and positive. A great message here !!

10. lscotthoughts January 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

This is one of my favorites, Miro, and I have been on the “outside” of a Christian clique in the past and it doesn’t feel good. It makes me wonder where the Christian is in their lives, but again, who am I to judge, right? 🙂
    This verse says it all:
    Christ welcomed all with open arms
    Embraced, invited in
    He didn’t say “Sorry, I’d like
    To keep my circle thin”
    So powerful!

11. Caddo Veil January 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

This is excellent–and unfortunately–painful truth, sometimes. I don’t know that there’s a cure for the problem–people are people, “Christian” or not.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. not as they seem | signedviolet - April 5, 2012

[…] Clique (warriorpoetwisdom.com) Share this:Share on Tumblr Pin ItLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged Clique, High school, Masks. Bookmark the permalink. ← online selling […]