The Offender

“Someday a computer will give a wrong answer to spare someone’s feelings, and man will have invented artificial intelligence.”  ~Robert Brault

The Offender

There once was a man who offended
The same people that he defended
Though he cared for them deeply
They took his words cheaply
And not the way he had intended

When Offender spoke of their weakness
They were overcome with much bleakness
Everyone in the joint
Seemed to just miss the point:
That they had to unlock their uniqueness

He saw them all falling in line
Like everyone else fret and whine
He knew they were greater
Than the average hater
If they’d all just show a little spine

But Ego was this man’s arch foe
It made folks feel hurt and say “NO!”
“You’ve hurt my feelings!”
“We’ll have no more dealings!”
“Take your observations and go!”

And so Offender packed his things
And carried on, spreading his wings
One day the offended
His words comprehended
When Ego stopped feeling their stings

“My God, he spoke truth all along!”
“It wasn’t ‘I’m right and you’re wrong!’”
“He didn’t mean it
To just cause me a fit”
“He was trying to show me I’m strong!”

Funny thing to take offense
To feel hurt and go on defense
When you know that it’s not
An attack or a plot
You might just learn something immense

18 Responses to “The Offender”

1. Soma Mukherjee January 3, 2012 at 1:31 am #

lovely story and so true..ego and assumptions are poison….if only we listen with clean heart and open mind…
    Beautiful poetry Miro

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 3, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Yes, poison is a great word to describe it. A virus is another. It spreads if we’re not careful! We all possess the cure, but many can’t get past the taste. 🙂

2. mysterycoach January 3, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Zactly. On both sides of the fence… (mine and theirs)

3. khushjenny January 3, 2012 at 9:13 am #

You are so creative.. Great poetry and story 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 3, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Thanks, very kind of you. Glad to hear it resonated with you.

4. Jackie L. Robinson January 3, 2012 at 10:23 am #

So very true, Miro. Our first reaction too often is to feel offended, to tap in to the natural defenses we all have. Truth isn’t easy to receive, but it’s a gift and one of our greatest guides when we can allow it to enter. xo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 3, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Yes, the light can hurt to those who have been in the dark too long. But the eyes were built to adjust after a period of discomfort. A fitting metaphor for overly sensitive people who are easily offended. Thanks for reading.

5. zendictive January 3, 2012 at 10:42 am #

just wondering.. this reminded me of the story of Achilles who stepped on toes often and was rough to be around but was speaking truth and cut those with his words because they didn’t face the truth as he did.

well this was inspirational and reminded me of an icon that I use to want to be like (grin) a warrior for the ages! His story still lives today!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 3, 2012 at 10:53 am #

I wasn’t aware of that legend, but it sounds like Achilles was very much an unapologetic “Offender.” When flared egos have cooled down and posturing is no longer necessary because the “Offender” is no longer present, those cuts heal just may heal into enlightenment.

Have you ever seen the youtube videos of Mrultimatewarrior? He ruffles a lot of people’s feathers too and is completely unapologetic and unsympathetic to lazy, unmotivated people, but what confuses many is that he’s not self-serving. His message is “YOU can do better than that!” not “I’m better than you!” He’s inspired thousands of people to start cutting themselves with their own truths, and “kick their own asses.” I think you’ll enjoy some of his injections of inspiration. 🙂

• zendictive January 3, 2012 at 11:00 am #

mr ultimate warrior ( haven’t heard of him but will gladly check him out… sounds like my kinda hero)

Achilles was also portrayed/played by Brad Pit in the movie Troy, a warrior like yourself would love this movie and or find faults in the directors portrayal as I did, but I liked the film as the story from the old greek literary version is hard to read. (I read it when I was younger) “The Illiad” about Troy and the trogan horse.

6. Nandini January 3, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

Beautiful poem, Miro. And one needs to be aware of the inside feelings and responses, he/she gives to situations. Awareness is significant, and mostly people ignore it. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Absolutely. Here’s to the warriors who try harder, think deeper. 🙂

7. granbee January 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Very strong, very on-point poem telling straight out about how people react to Offending Truthbearers! I cannot help but think, however, of sayings like “Speak softly, carry a big stick” and “A soft answer turneth away wrath”. See, I constantly must remind myself of these last two pieces of good advice, as I tend to intimidate and offend folks with my truth bearing at times.

8. inspirationaldaily January 4, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Loved the flow… Presented the feeling very well.. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful peom with Us.
    Regards,
    Varun

9. Cat Forsley January 4, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Beautiful …
    all i can write is that Everyone – One
    has something to teach us .
    when we let go of the mind – Enough – and Live through and with Heart – Then Understanding begins …….. Hearts Fuse and Lessons are learned …..
    best x
    Cat

10. MJ, Nonstepmom January 4, 2012 at 8:40 am #

I’m not sure how it happened or how you “knew” but we were trying to explain this very concept (ego, feelings, even being a ‘warrior”! ) last night to my step-daughter. How amazing that’s when you found my blog, so I could find this! Cant wait to read more, thank you …..

11. Sue Dreamwalker January 4, 2012 at 9:37 am #

We often find the Truth offends and many cannot swallow what reflects back at them as Ego dominates their world.. narrow views restricts.. Now being open minded allows one to digest all points of views.. for that is what they are a view on their experiences.. until one has experienced or walked in another’s shoes it may offend..
    Working for years among those who are challenged with Learning difficulties working with adults who have a mental age of a child, and who do not always ‘Look’ the norm.. I find it offends many as we go into Cafe’s and Town as they look in disgust and cross the road.. {There go I but for the grace of God..}
    Some have much to learn…. Lessons for the Soul… Thank you Miro for helping open views to those lessons needed to help mankind progress as he learns to live from his heart instead of his head..
    Love and Blessings.. Dreamwalker