Comfortable Warriors

“If you don’t step out of your comfort zone and face your fears, the number of situations that make you uncomfortable will keep growing.” ~Theo Pistorius

Comfortable Warriors

Many words describe the ones
Who go by “warrior”
Peace and strength and grace and love
And selflessness infer

So do intensity and
Resolve, patience, courage
Balance, focus, fortitude
All these traits encourage

Notice nowhere is “comfort”
Listed in these virtues
Many “warriors” fall short
If there’s a threat of bruise

Or scrape or bleeding, broken bones
Or excess of much sweat
Or discomfort not physical
Like topics that upset

Uncomfortable issues like
Sickness, hardship or rape
The “Comfortable Warrior” makes
An impatient escape

The true warrior knows there isn’t
Comfort down the road
They understand that true peace comes
When comfort does erode

When one no longer strives just to
Make their lives more relieved
The warrior views comfort seekers
As ones to be grieved

Sad and selfish cowards who
Resemble pigs in muck
Wallowing in nothingness
And hoping for good luck

Striving for control so that
Their lives are convenient
Running from uncomfortable
Is how their lives are spent

Warriors say “Let it hurt!”
“I will survive the day!”
“I have no fear of awkward or
Unpleasant words they’ll say!”

“I’ve given up my search for comfort
For something much greater:
To fulfill all the potential
Instilled by my creator!”

‘Cause when He made the warriors
He said, “This won’t be pleasant
You never will grow in wisdom
When your comfort is present

But if you do accept a life
Unsheltered and devoid
Of convenience and luxury
And comfort you avoid

You will find your true strength and peace
And grace does lie within
The very same place that your comfort
Hasn’t ever been”

19 Responses to “Comfortable Warriors”

1. Jackie L. Robinson January 1, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Beautifully written Miro. You always tend to capture the core of an inner truth we carry…bringing it to light through your eloquence and honesty. I love this one…and it reminds me of the ‘no comfort zone’ challenge some of us are taking this year. When we take steps to move beyond what feels comfortable, we do indeed find the richness that lies deeper within. Much love and a very happy new year to you, my wise friend. xo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Thank you Jackie, I’m grateful for your kind and heartfelt words. My comfort zone has been slashed to ribbons with my trusty claymore. What lay beyond it was so much more appealing. 🙂

2. Nandini January 1, 2012 at 10:50 am #

The most important lesson I could learn on the first day of the new year. Sigh.

Thank you for these words. Beautifully compiled into a poem.

A very very happy new year to you. I’m so glad that I found your poems in 2011. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Every day should be treated as New Years! I’ll go a step further and say every moment should too. 🙂 Thank you for all of your support and encouragement, you have my utmost gratitude. I look forward to seeing many more of your beautiful photos throughout the year.

• Nandini January 2, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Yes that is true. 🙂 thank you!

3. Sue Dreamwalker January 1, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Thank you Miro for this.. We each signed up for this part of experience and they say this is the hardest passage in Earth Life.. To know we are the strongest of the strong and the bravest of the brave at times still makes a warrior doubt… When we go through our own pains of living in this physical and material world.. But your words ring Truth, and Grae does Lie within…
    We just need to find that within us to discover we are all Warriors of Light. Did I ever share a poem with you I wrote.. I blogged it here several years ago now..
    Keep your sword of Truth at the ready my friend..
    Blessings Dreamwalker..
    PS I thank you for your award I just answered in my lasted post.. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Thank you for your own words of warrior wisdom, Dreamwalker. I’ll check out that poem right now.

4. iamforchange January 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Happy New Year Miro to you and yours! I truly hope it is your best yet and wish you a Heart full of love.Thank you for sharing your Love and Grace you have a true and very beautiful gift and Soul that we all are grateful you choose to share! Peace and Grace is with you!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Happy New Year to you as well! Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate your support and encouragement. Wishing you strength, inspiration and courage throughout the year!

5. bestillandknow101 January 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

NIce thoughts and encouragement. Jack

6. Antigone's Clamor January 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

This is a perfect charge for the new year, Miro! I have been looking for something to tape up and put on my mirror as a reminder. This poem is perfect for that! 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom January 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

That’s quite a compliment, thank you!
      All the best for 2012,

7. zendictive January 2, 2012 at 9:47 am #

complacency is a weapon used to destroy a warrior

8. WordsFallFromMyEyes January 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

This is a great visual. I have moved out of my comfort zone into the cold aloneness several crisis times in my life – HAD to do, and it has paid off. In fact, when I moved my son from Perth to Melbourne (west to east Australia) mid 2008, a cousin said to me, “He who dares, wins”. And it resounded, and gave me more courage, though it was such an enormous, draining, expensive, sole effort. Now he’s in a school, me in a job, we have a flat, he has great friends. BY THAT ONE BOLD MOVE OUT of a bad place.

Great post 🙂

9. unwrittentruth January 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

The last stanza was interesting. You seemed to insinuate not only that we should accept discomfort if it comes our way, but seek it out & avoid it. interesting. i wonder what would happen if people truly lived this way. i think it would be better. nice post. beautifully written. a message i wish even more would hear.

10. granbee January 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

“And grace does lie within that place where comfort never has been”–this is just so empowering, miro! My creedo exactly! Thank you most humbly.

11. eof737 January 3, 2012 at 5:14 am #

May peace, joy and equanimity meet you at your door. ♥Happy ♥New ♥Year ♥ ! 🙂
    Elizabeth

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain: Stepping Out Of The Comfort Zone « Get On With It Already! - June 7, 2012

[…] Image Source Share this:FacebookPinterestEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]