Running From Nothing

18 Dec

Running From Nothing

Everyone has one person
Who when we think of, we worsen
We cannot stand the thought of how
They hurt us so we made this vow:

The next time we speak will be chosen
After Hell’s completely frozen
So we do everything we can
To avoid that girl or man

If we happen to see them
We’ll walk away as we condemn
We’ll go out of our way to miss
Meeting up to reminisce

Of all the ways they hurt us and
Their claims of hurts that we did land
Upon them, so we run away
So no one has harsh words to say

One day, something funny happened
My ego suddenly snappened
Just like Eckhart Tolle’s did
Of ego’s power I was rid

I started seeing people who
Speaking to would have been taboo
Instead I walked right up and greeted
Forgetting how I was mistreated

I did this over and over
For rivals I was a rover
I searched them out to make some peace
To make our petty feelings cease

Guess what this poet did learn
From showing no fear or concern?
From breaking free of ego’s hold
And showing selflessness so bold?

Most times my brothers and sisters
Still complained about their blisters
Living in the past of hate
And not looking at today’s date

A half-assed understanding came
Because they still chose to lay blame
I, however, let it go
‘Cause I’m not controlled by ego

And at the end of our conference
They went right back on the defense
They said they didn’t want to speak
Again which shows me just how bleak

And hopeless their attitudes are
Only focused on the scar
And all the pain that came with it
But all refusing to admit

With every single scar we’ve got
Knowledge, strength and grace was brought
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger
Bigger scar means strength lasts longer

The point of all of this is that
The one with whom you have combat
Is running just like you are too
And if one chooses to pursue

They’d realize it’s no big deal
To get over the whole ordeal
To leave it in the past and move
Together forward and improve

Only cowards say “no way”
“I’m scared of what you’ll do or say”
“Because of what you did before”
(“But nevermind the time I swore”)

(“Or pointed fingers and accused”)
(“Or all the times that I abused”)
(“With hurtful, thoughtless things I said”)
(“Let’s just dwell on my hurts instead”)

So either way, when you confront
Your enemy and are quite blunt
That everything’s forgiven now
If they decide to not allow

That’s one less person that you’ll fear
When they do randomly appear
And all the fear will be their own
‘Cause their ego they’ve not outgrown

But if by chance a hand is shaken
Hatchet’s buried and forsaken
You can add another friend
You can be proud of and commend

For being fearless and knowing
The path to wisdom and growing
Is to move on and start anew
So who’s your foe you should pursue?

19 Responses to “Running From Nothing”

1. mysterycoach December 18, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Well said. I have a woman at work who I had a spat with. She is a client and after that point a year ago or so, I treat her with respect and kindly and she does the same. No harm no foul. 🙂

This whole, higher ground thing… is not easy. Not with this woman but overall at times. Particularly when others don’t fight fair and aren’t on the same page. Now that is my challenge. I feel that one when it comes up. Back and forth, pacing in my head looking for the right thing to do…

• mysterycoach December 18, 2011 at 10:24 am #

Wait, I got it… the pacing is directly related to them assuming they can do whatever that was again and you don’t want to give a person that much freedom in your head. Specially those who would take advantage of my good nature. That’s why this middle ground feels so hard to get to. This is what I’m saying. So, my question is … how to get “there”… where you can welcome this individual, much like this woman and just “be”… know what I mean? (insert inquisitive look)

Hello Mrs. Warrior! 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

When dealing with people you’ve had conflicts with in the past, let go of all preconceived notions. Your mind buzzes when you see them, warning you that they’re going to do what they’ve done in the past. Don’t listen to it. So many times we create the tension and conflict ourselves because we listen to our mind, which says “something bad is going to happen!” A self-fulfilling prophecy. Just be blank. “No-minded” as Bruce Lee said. No expectations, and no reactions to anything they do. Most often, people take this kind of behavior as being “abnormal.” If not taking offense at petty things and not engaging in fights with assholes makes me “abnormal,” then I don’t want to be “normal.” Yes, warriors are abnormal, because they don’t adhere to lazy, selfish social conventions of being offended, uncomfortable or hurt by people who don’t deserve their respect because they don’t think deeper and try harder.

• mysterycoach December 19, 2011 at 3:54 am #

Hmmm… I did this with the client at work actually. She shifted too. Which was nice. Not all people … well, now, hold on a second. I have noticed that sometimes …

Huh… You know? Now that I’m really thinking about it, lots of people shit to the positive even after an argument when I speak to them later or we’ve both had time to think things through.

The only time this does not happen is when the other individual is shut down. Like, emo… huh… You know? I”m going to give this whole thing more thought.

People who are very guarded will fight me the most but over time they shift. Depends on how much “stuff” is between them and me. Whether it’s their stuff or my stuff (life experiences and the like)

ooooohhhh… LOL 🙂

• mysterycoach December 19, 2011 at 7:36 am #

oopsie… that’s supposta say “shift” not sh*t LOL 🙂

2. zendictive December 18, 2011 at 11:51 am #

wih those I can not see eye to eye with, if there is nothing good to say… say nothing, it is not for me to sculpt them so widdeling away at them does not help, encouragement seems to fuel the fire so I am humble and silent as a monk with the wisdom to know better. Some think the world is thier punching bag, I simply redirect (grin)

great point and awesome post

• mysterycoach December 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

redirect… yah, see 🙂 Saying “nothing” is not my strong suit. Nope… not even a little. I don’t fight dirty however if I have something to say, I’m saying it. You’re talking about mean people? LOL 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Good attitude to have. For petty things, it’s best to keep quiet. However, in certain situations, it’s good to speak up. We’ll know in our heart the difference between the two. The key when speaking up is to do it with full courage. Not across a room, but face-to-face. Throw comfort out the window, it’s never served any warrior any good.

3. Jackie L. Robinson December 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

The truth you speak, my friend, is that the ugliness, the conflict, the inability to move forward and the necessity of blame lies not in the wrong that was done to us, but in our desire to hold onto it; to honor the bitterness, the haughtiness, the pain it brings us. There is power in letting go. Well done….truth in your rhythm. xoxo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Thanks for your inspiring words, Jackie. They especially resonate with me today, as I was thinking about someone exactly like that, unable to move forward and stop honoring the bitterness. It’s ironic that we feel so empowered when we let it go, and it’s human nature to want to share good things in our life, but sometimes we try to share it with those who are too self-absorbed and egotistical to accept that something good can come from a place other than their own mind.

4. Sunshine December 19, 2011 at 12:05 am #

First, I love your new look here and second, I like how you addressed the person(s) who left deep scars within you but sometimes cannot be actively pursued, simply for safety reasons, but in our own space we have made peace. At least I think you mentioned that.
    Thank you.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 19, 2011 at 9:10 am #

Thank you! Yes, I thought I’d brighten up the page a bit. 🙂

Unfortunately sometimes there’s just no chance for discussion. It’s unfortunate that the ego’s endless, selfish search for safety and comfort often keeps us from growing and understanding. Imagine if every hockey player who ever got body checked quit out of fear of ever being body checked again. Life is full of body checks. The ones who lace their skates knowing what they’re in for every night are the true warriors. The ones who stay home on their nice, comfortable couch so that they don’t end up sore contribute nothing to anyone other than themselves. Sometimes we have to do the uncomfortable things in life like forgiving people who we don’t particularly like not only for ourselves, but to serve as inspiration for others.

5. willofheart December 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

how I am going to address person who left me scars I honestly don’t forget the feelings but in due time find my heart a space to forgive and in forget and brings the lesson from them …. thank you for sharing this piece and wisdom Miro…. cheers!… 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

If you address them with anger, who do you think they’ll address you? If you address them with hurt, how do you think they’ll address you? If you address them with forgiveness and grace, how do you think they’ll address you? The things we see that we don’t like are often reflections of our own thoughts and feelings that we’re not even aware we’re sending out.

• mysterycoach December 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Okay. So here’s the thing. I had a bad day, heard some bad things over the weekend it hit me while I was at work and … I have to to say that this whole struggle thing, where we take higher ground? I am truly a fan of I try to do it often.

There are those other times though were we have to meet something head on or they will walk all over you. I’m not a fan of having my good nature taken advantage of in anyway. A spade is still a spade at the end of the day and if someone needs to be addressed, it needs to be addressed because otherwise it feels like… It feel bad. It feels like, I am not stepping up and defending what I believe to be the right thing.

I like higher ground. I see it’s value. I do. The problem I have is when we may be confronted with something that we need to address front and center.

It’s not about caring what other people think, it’s just something that needs to be taken care of in that moment. I am a fan of “pause” and think and redirecting myself… sometimes though, you have to be unyeilding and put a person in their place. It’s not about caring what they think either… it’s about setting boundaries and guidelines in a manner that the individual we are dealing with understands.

Soft does not work all the time. Not in my experience. So I personally struggle with this concept.

6. zolemia December 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

I am working so hard at warrior thinking, but it is hard sometimes to convince myself :). Especially when I am dealing with aggressive people.
    I think I will mark this post for a part of my regular reading. I am so glad that you share your wisdom Miro!

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

Hi Zolemia. Of course it’s hard, that’s why warriors are so few and far between! Warriors think deeper & try harder.
      Peace, grace & courage to you on your journey,

7. granbee December 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Warrior, what a great Christmas gift you have given us with this post! We must continue to love, continue with strong, brave compassions, and let those folk who want to continue carry anger and resentment just totter on until they realize they must put down this load.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Two Wolves (anger) « MysteryCoach - December 18, 2011

[…] was over by Warrior Poet person there and I asked a question about how you deal with that internal battle we have at times when it […]