Weird Warriors

6 Dec

Weird Warriors

“Have you seen that guy today
The one who’s acting strange?
He seems so weird to me because
He has evoked a change”

“He’s doing something different than
What I’m accustomed to
And I can only call it strange
When it’s out of the blue”

“Maybe we should laugh at him
Because he’s standing out
Our ridicule will hopefully
Put him back on the route”

“That is the same as all of us
The one that we all walk
Yes, that’s it, we’ll call him names
And ostracize and mock”

“Wait a minute, no effect
He doesn’t seem to care
Regardless of how much we laugh
And ridicule and stare”

“It’s been some months since this began
And now we’re used to it
The different thing that we all mocked
That he refused to quit”

“Has now become an old routine
And we no longer must
Feel the urge to share our snide
Remarks and our disgust”

“But wait a minute, what is this!?
He’s changed things up once more!
Why can’t he just stick with things
The way they were before?”

“Now we have to wait again
To get used to his act
Doesn’t this guy realize
The more that he’s abstract”

“The more we all think that he’s weird
Because he’s not like us
The more he’s not like me, the more
That I’ll put up a fuss”

“But somewhere down the road, I think
Eventually I’ll see
This person not as weird, but as
A spirit that is free”

“As with many things, I’ll think
About it much too late
When enough time has passed to
Reduce all of my hate”

“My fear, resentment, and my ways
Of thinking in the box
Eventually I’ll realize
With ticking of the clocks”

“That people who are weird or strange
Show courage and resolve
They do the things they have to so that
They grow and evolve”

“And when I learn it doesn’t matter
What others may think
When I do things my own way
And they can’t make me blink”

“I’ll come to know that ‘weird’ is just
A word we use in fear
Of those we should respect, honor
Encourage and revere”

19 Responses to “Weird Warriors”

1. Nandini December 6, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Beautiful words. I have faced this too, and I know those judgments/comments were not significant. And we should always try to appreciate or at least understand others in their good efforts.

Very nice poem too, as always. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 6, 2011 at 11:08 am #

Thanks for reading. I believe that labeling others as weird or strange accesses the same part of the mind that racism and bigotry comes from. “I don’t like that because it’s different than me.” It’s an egotistical way of thinking, and in my opinion, ego is the opposite of selflessness and understanding.

• Nandini December 7, 2011 at 5:01 am #

Absolutely. Ego is like…Edging God out from us.

Beautiful. 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

I love how you put that. Ego truly does take us away from God. Ego is selfish. God is love, which is selfless.

2. Princess Laila December 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

So true.. I loved your last few lines. I think we label too much in this society. Once those labels go on that’s it. One should look deeper and see what and who is really there.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it. Agreed, we must look deeper, try harder.

3. granbee December 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

Warrior, you are VERY weird; and I like you VERY MUCH!!! Thank you so much for this most encouraging post today. Where were you when I was in elementary school? I celebrate the “weird” now and find so many more doors open to my venturing steps.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Ah yes, elementary school. I remember being an outcast simply because I studied hard, got good grades and liked corduroy pants. It didn’t take much to set people off back then. 🙂
      Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed it!

4. Jackie L. Robinson December 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

Always more that is true beyond what we see. LOVED the opening lines. xo

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Thank so much, glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it’s important to not just think with our eyes. Some of the most understanding and non-judgemental people I’ve known were blind. 🙂

5. Antigone's Clamor December 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Those closing lines really hit your point home well! Love this.

In a way, I think blogging blinds us. I’m getting to know people who I probably wouldn’t have even come into contact with! We get to see people’s thoughts, feelings, and ideas in a much more open manner.

I have a favorite Madeleine L’Engle quote: “It is far too easy to take refuge in our little groups, rather than allowing the Creator to change us as he changed Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”

6. willofheart December 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

sometimes being not in the group or weird hit badly to a person involved but people don’t know what is inside….. I enjoy reading this piece… 🙂

7. iamforchange December 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Thank you my friend! Your post has shown a great truth and you my Brother are inspired by the same Lord and God as I… My heart felt wish of love and peace to fill your soul!

8. zendictive December 9, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

weird is … strange from what we are use to (~_~)

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 9, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

Nail struck precisely on its head. 🙂
      Once we realize we’re all different, there’s no such thing as weird or strange anymore, simply lingering thoughts of the ego whisper, “Hey, he’s not like you!” Response: “So what?” 🙂

9. Jessie Jeanine December 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Wow ~ nicely done! I’m so happy to have found your blog today as I’m really enjoying your poetry 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom December 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

That makes two of us, so glad you found it, Jessie! Wishing you continued inspiration. 🙂

10. lscotthoughts December 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Excellent! 🙂

11. Sunshine December 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

A spirit that is free… best way to be! Thanks 🙂