I Don’t Tweet

28 Nov

I Don’t Tweet

The social networking tool that
Is growing in support
More rapidly than most is the
One that must be kept short

Seems to me that everyone
Is Twittering today
But with just a hundred and
Forty letters to say

What is on your mind, our thoughts
Are being simplified
There isn’t much room to express
Inspire or confide

I tried it for a while, tweeted
Quotes that roused my vigor
But many times I couldn’t post
‘Cause limit wasn’t bigger

So I found myself tweeting
About trifling deeds
Like what I had for breakfast or
My material needs

A new trinket that’s coming out
That I would like to buy
And other times I’d use it to
Kvetch, complain and cry

I finally did recognize
That status line was not
An ideal place to show my thanks
For everything I’ve got

Instead, it’s just an exercise
In ego, bragging, whines
A warrior who has a point
Needs more than just 2 lines

I saw the limits they imposed
And the effect is makes
A growing group of people who
Do not have what it takes

To keep attention focused on
A write that’s longer than
One hundred and forty keys:
A “novel” for trash can

Part of being warriors
Is saying “Not for me
I don’t abide what’s going on
And I do disagree”

So I don’t tweet, it’s not for me
I just don’t see what good
Tweeting does, two lines cannot
Help you be understood

Status lines and cell phone texts
And very short e-mails
Modern day communication’s
Giant epic fails

I’ll keep to writing “novels” and
Poems more than a page
For the ones who seek to be
Inspired and engage

12 Responses to “I Don’t Tweet”

1. Amy November 28, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Love this! I am with you ~ I do not tweet, do not want to tweet, have no interest in tweeting. Where’s the substance? The name says it all… just a lot of twitter… 🙂

• Warrior Poet Wisdom November 28, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Thanks Amy. Yes, it’s all about substance, and I find there’s very little of it on social networking tools that impose limits. It’s a shame they’re indulging and encouraging people to keep things short. I think more than keeping things simple, it’s provoking laziness and lack of deep thought. I think people will eventually figure that out for themselves though. I don’t believe there are many people who use Twitter frequently that have a feeling of fulfillment from it. 🙂

2. lolabees November 28, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Tried it and just don’t get it either!

3. lscotthoughts November 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

I also agree, Miro…I have never tweeted (sounds ridiculous, actually) and will never tweet. Texting, to stay in the loop with and for my teens is one thing and took awhile to get into…communication nowadays has taken on a life of its own and it may not be a good thing…Great, engaging poem, as always! 🙂
    Lauren

• Warrior Poet Wisdom November 29, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Thank you. Yes, something is happening with how we communicate, and I can’t help the feeling that it may not be changing for the better.

4. zendictive November 29, 2011 at 8:00 am #

I have yet to tweet or even try my hand at facebook, I am just now a blogger …I read your idea of Skype and not even sure what this is, but I’ll look into it. My main deal with the computer is I do my writing in the morning with my coffee, once I am up I am gone into my day, my daughter gets the computer then at night my wife gets it, it is a time share and it works well, I haven’t even text any one yet (grin) I did however send pictures from my phone once when I caught a huge fish at the prison and sent it to my wife, an 8lb bass, I was excited. Have a quality day (~_~)

• Warrior Poet Wisdom November 29, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Skype is basically free long distance phone on your computer. It’s a program that uses a microphone to let you talk with other people who also have Skype. One of the great new communication inventions, but like e-mail, it’s really being used to its fullest potential. The less you’re on the computer, probably the better. 🙂 But you may want to look into creating a Fan Page on Facebook for Zendictive. It’s a good way of reaching a larger number of people who actually want to be inspired and motivated, and you can post links on it to your blog.

5. khushjenny November 29, 2011 at 8:52 am #

cool

6. Sunshine November 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Perhaps for a reluctant writer (like my youngest son), Twittering may help overcome his hesitant ways. I like your post…it did inspire and engage! Thank you.

• Warrior Poet Wisdom November 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Tell him to start a blog. Twittering is not “writing” anymore than doing only one push-up every day is “training.” 🙂